Changing colors :o

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
As some of you may know, where I'm from they sell bunnies at 1 month old, and my two buns were not an exception. I got me a pleasant surprise in their second month! Anna was a pretty grey with brown tips and now that she's 2 months old she's changing! :eek:!

And here's Anna (Before)
2ec3p7l.jpg
(You cant see it very well, but she doesnt have a lighter bottom :c )

And after!
6eoi9y.jpg

Elsa is staying the same so far:
dhe15f.jpg

Before anyone asks I have no idea what breed they are, I *thought* dwarf mixes because of their small size (they had lionhead in the same cage when I bought these and jebus the size difference was huge!) but with their huge ears and such, I have no clue! xD I still say dwarf mixes, they don't even weigh 1lb yet! But they are only 2 months old, so that could be it :c

Anyone else have had pleasant surprises with color changes? Post your before and after pics!

Not Dutch mixed. They are Vienna marked rabbits. The small white snip on Anna's nose and the blue eyes on Elsa combined with her small white marks on her paws is most likely results from a blue eyed white influence. Elsa looks like she will stay black. Anna looked like a Siamese sable at first but I'm not sure why her underside has only become lighter. If she's really a Aimee's sable she will continue to change colors as they are just an odd color like that.

Not Dutch mixed. They are Vienna marked rabbits. The small white snip on Anna's nose and the blue eyes on Elsa combined with her small white marks on her paws is most likely results from a blue eyed white influence. Elsa looks like she will stay black. Anna looked like a Siamese sable at first but I'm not sure why her underside has only become lighter. If she's really a Aimee's sable she will continue to change colors as they are just an odd color like that.

Wow you know a lot! Any thread/website that might educate me more? :eek: Sounds very interesting!

Is Vienna / Siamese Sable a pattern or a breed? If a pattern, any breeds that usually have that pattern? I don't really care what breed they are but I AM very curious!

If there's a possibility of her entire coat changing, should I expect heavy shedding? Should I help her with grooming? I don't groom them yet because they haven't shed yet, I was told to start the moment I notice shedding, I do brush them to get them used to the brush tho :3

Is Vienna / Siamese Sable a pattern or a breed? If a pattern, any breeds that usually have that pattern? I don't really care what breed they are but I AM very curious!

If there's a possibility of her entire coat changing, should I expect heavy shedding? Should I help her with grooming? I don't groom them yet because they haven't shed yet, I was told to start the moment I notice shedding, I do brush them to get them used to the brush tho :3

Vienna is a coat/colour pattern, most well known on the Dutch breed of rabbit but also present on many other breeds depending on what parent colours you breed. Siamese Sable is also a colour patten (think similar to a siamese cat but with darker body fur) and is present in many breeds. I don't know a lot about it though, other than that basic knowledge.

They could be mixed breed, but they look like they could have some netherland dwarf in them.

They will probably go through a shed from around 4 months of age I would think. The changing colour shouldn't lead to increased shedding. I would definitely brush them when they're shedding though, saves them ingesting a lot of fur :)

Also, they're adorable :D

Very cute. All we care about is healthy and happy.

Yup! But every bun owner has to admit they have spent quite a few ours trying to research what breeds they might have out of curiosity! XD

They will probably go through a shed from around 4 months of age I would think. The changing colour shouldn't lead to increased shedding. I would definitely brush them when they're shedding though, saves them ingesting a lot of fur :)

Also, they're adorable :D

Yeah I read that if I can avoid them ingesting too much (cuz avoiding any ingestion is pretty impossible) is better for them! :3

I love the names, but bunnies should, never, ever be sold at 1 month old. They should be at least eight weeks when they are sold.

I love the names, but bunnies should, never, ever be sold at 1 month old. They should be at least eight weeks when they are sold.

Yup I know, but unfortunately you can't find them any older than that where I'm from. The stores get kits and they sell in like a week. We don't have any shelters and such and people usually just get them because "they are easier than dogs" and when they realize they aren't, they let them go instead of finding a home for them and they usually get eaten by the 200k stray dogs/cats on the island. I have NEVER seen another person own a rabbit where I'm from nor have I ever seen a stray rabbit.

And I don't think it's fair for me not to get rabbits just because I can't find any, anywhere, at the proper age :\ We have the same problem with all kinds of pets. Dogs, cats, etc, are all sold the moment they can eat by themselves.

Could you get one from a shelter?

There aren't any shelters here. I mean there aren't even DOG shelters or cat shelters, less rabbit ones :\

To make it more clear, I have never seen an adult rabbit in real person, ever. My buns, when they grow up, will be the only adult rabbits I ever see in person.

Also, from the pics, is there anyway to tell if they're related? :c The store didn't know how to tell me if they were or not. With such different colors at the beginning I thought not, I'm just curious xD

Latest posts

Back