Change of pace..?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heth

Reaction score
So, I live in Florida and it is hurricane seasonagain. I feel like the last season never ended with all the rain and soforth. I didn't have Thumper when we got hit by 4 hurricanes. So, doyou think she would be okay in going to a shelter with me? She's usedto being in a quiet environment and I'm not sure a shelter would bejust that. I just don't want her to suffer if we lose power again for acouple of days.. or weeks! Any advice?

the problem comesin with Most Shelters do notallow animals no matter whatthey are , unfortunately If you have toevacuate you will have to leave hteRabbit behind If you go into a shelter . sorry .

There were pet friendly shelters last year. Weopted to stay home and watch the action since we live in an apartment.During the hurricanes, they always open atleast 2 shelters in my countythat are pet friendly. I just don't know if she would be okay with dogsbarking and whatever other creatures they bring in! :p

Start taking her for rides in the car.This will get her to not be stressed if you have to drive to ashelter. At the shelter, bring her toys and such and justmake sure that no dogs go near her. The barking shouldn'tbother her as long as it isn't right next to her. Hope itdoesn't come to that though.

Me either! I hate hurricanes and I hate leavinghome during them. We got lucky and only lost power for about 24 hours,but even with the humidity it's horrible. A friend of ours down thestreet lost it for 3 weeks. Can't wait to leave FL!!

Slowly get her used to noisy situations.Reassure her she is ok. Start small, a minute or two and slowlyincrease the time. That way if you have to take her to a shelter she isable to handle it a bit easier. Keep some Nutrical and her favoritetreats on hand.

I hope you don't need to leave.

Tina

I think I'll do that. I know she gets scared ofthe vacuum!! She's going on a car ride to the vet tomorrow to see ifshe can be spayed. I want to do that before anything severe hits, ifanything at all. Thanks for the advice guys :D

Arg, I know...we have the sameproblem. In addition to our hurricane kit/evacuation box, Inow keep a bunny evacuation kit with his stuff (toys, litter, nutrical,etc...). We didn't have Floppy last year for the storms--Ican't imagine how miserable he would have been (for Francis and Jeanewe lost power for 3 days each). I've already made a list ofhotels in the area that are pet friendly (Red Roof Inn and Laquinta areboth good). Plus, I noticed yesterday that our evacuationzone had been changed to "A" (so we'll be evacuated for anything thisyear) Let's just pray for no more hurricanes thisyear :)

We moved to Florida a week before Charley, so I've never been to ashelter. I've considered it, but I've heard the few petfriendly shelters in my county fill up very quickly, so I'm going tomake sure I've got a decent backup plan (hotel). Also, I'veheard that there are people who will board pets during ahurricane--personally, I'd have a hard time letting Floppy go, but ifit were my only choice, then maybe.

Latest posts

Back