Change In Potty Habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozed

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It has been SUCH a long time since I have been on here. My mother has the only bunny I have left and is taking care of him until I can find a place to live that would be bunny safe.

He IS potty trained - or at least we thought he was. She has had him for a little over a year now (i had him for a year or so before that as well) and he's always peed and pooped in his litterbox (a fairly good size box), however he has just started peeing outside of the box a lot, mostly along the walls of the fenced in area we keep him in.

He has hay in his litterbox so he can use the bathroom while he eats etc.

Any ideas on why he would be doing this all of a sudden. He IS neutered as well.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I wouldn't say change in environment - I guess he could get mad when my parents are gone for the weekend, but other than that nothing really has changed. Same litterbox, same litter, no additional animals, same environment for the most part.

Kind of has us stumped...

Awww! Well is there anything we can do about that. They don't leave every weekend, but their routine is pretty set during the week, and pretty random on weekends. Sometimes they go out of town, and sometimes they stick around the house.

We're going to change the blanket (i'll try to find some pictures of our setup) and hopefully he wont smell where he's already been and assume its ok? I really don't know.

Poor guy...

Sounds to me like a Urinary Tract Infection.... I'm not sure if that is right but I know that a sudden change in litter box habits is sometimes a symptom of something like that.... I will go research and edit this in a bit.

Megan

Yeah they could leave the little tv on for him - we have a sugar glider that he can watch at night, but she's probably more annoying than comforting. She was there before Shayze was, so I don't think she has anything to do with it.

Seems like this is a new thing - we havent noticed him peeing outside the litterbox like this until recently and they've always had an odd schedule on the weekends... although I'll ask my mom if they have been gone on the weekends "more" lately than usual.

Bayle - my first bunny died while he was in her care from something she could not have avoided, but that's why she freaks out if there are ANY changes. And I understand - I love that little guy and I miss Bayle LOTS!

Thanks for all of the ideas and if you all have some more keep them coming!

Monklover is right. I forgot to mention that can be a reason as well. Better to error on the side of caution and have you bun checked out by a rabbit savvy vet.

I talked to my mom a little bit ago and her and my dad both agree its about time for a checkup anyway. The problem is - there are two vets sort of far away. They are ran by a couple who are divorced now, so the man runs one and the wife the other. My mom doesn't know when she will be able to take him in (but if you think its urgent she'll find a way) and she doesn't know which one to take him to. I told her to call them and find out which ones have the most experience with rabbits (hey, its a start haha).

Yeah if you think it's more urgent than that, she said she would find a way to take him somewhere.

Thanks again for all of the advise!

Oh and they change the litter once a week - but more if needed. None of that has changed since she started taking care of him a year ago.

I can't figure out what it was but I know that it is definetly a symptom for something..... If I could just figure out what it was....I can't remember! :headsmack

Megan

Well my parents are in Goldsboro. And no... I'll have to look that up - not sure if I knew that existed or not.

Urinary tract disease can develop in any rabbit at any age, although it is more common in older rabbits. Symptoms of urinary tract disease may be very subtle or very severe.

What to Watch For[/b]

[*]Decrease in appetite

[*]General lethargy

[*]Straining to urinate

[*]Urinating outside of the box

[*]Passing only small amounts of urine frequently

[*]Drinking excess water and urinating excessively

[*]Inablity to urinate

[*]Blood-tinged urine

[*]Dribbling of urine

[*]Urine scald (redness and hair loss) around the genitalia or the insides of the legs

I just got off the phone with my mom and I told her that you all thought it could be a UTI - of course she wasn't thrilled with that news, but she's going to give the vet a call tomorrow and see about making an appointment I think.

Thank You! I LOVE this forum and all of you guys :)

Latest posts

Back