Chalk in stasis- in the hospital

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I ordered something similar, from a site, but had no idea if it was the right stuff, the unsweetened stuff. I hope you find out though, and that it is of use to you in the future.

Flashy wrote:
Oh and don't quote me on it but I'm reasonably sure that Metronidazole is available over here.
:yeahthat:

As an antibiotic, it's definitely available over here- I've had the unfortunate experience of taking it several times myself! (It makes me sick as a dog) I'd be willing to put money on the fact that it's not licenced for rabbits at all, because so little is. No idea how widely it's used in other animals though.

Flashy wrote:
^I ordered something similar, from a site, but had no idea if it was the right stuff, the unsweetened stuff. I hope you find out though, and that it is of use to you in the future.
Where did you get yours from? I used http://www.americansoda.co.uk/ - there were one or 2 others but that seemed to be the cheapest.

I'm pretty sure it's the right stuff, reading this topic that I posted for Ali a while back:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=52477&forum_id=1

I have used fresh mint to calm upset stomachs....never used it with drugs. It's amazing how some herbs or foods affect the absorbing of drugs. If I remember correctly, pineapple juice will actually defeat the antibiotics. Weird stuff but something to consider when there is a serious problem. And some of them may not impact the drugs but there isn't much study in a clinical setting to determine the results of interactions. I prefer to err on the side of caution and not take a chance on any herbal or holistic treatments to interfere with conventional medicine. Not flaming any of the holistic treatments as I have seen many of them do some surprising things....but the times I have used them, it has not been in conjunction with "western" medicine. There is a vet in Raleigh, NC that has an entire program dedicated to holistic medicine.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
I have used fresh mint to calm upset stomachs....never used it with drugs. It's amazing how some herbs or foods affect the absorbing of drugs. If I remember correctly, pineapple juice will actually defeat the antibiotics. Weird stuff but something to consider when there is a serious problem. And some of them may not impact the drugs but there isn't much study in a clinical setting to determine the results of interactions. I prefer to err on the side of caution and not take a chance on any herbal or holistic treatments to interfere with conventional medicine. Not flaming any of the holistic treatments as I have seen many of them do some surprising things....but the times I have used them, it has not been in conjunction with "western" medicine. There is a vet in Raleigh, NC that has an entire program dedicated to holistic medicine.

Randy

Randy, all 5 of my bunnies get fresh herbs daily- mint, basil, cilantro, etc- I didn't think any differently of feeding them to Chalk- it was just a case of offering anything I could to tempt her to eat. Do you think that mint etc is a bad idea to feed when she's on drugs? Would the benefits of the mint soothing her stomach and getting her eating again outweigh any risk of mint interfering with drugs? Not necessarily with what she's on now, but anything else...?

I must admit I never looked at it from a holistic treatment point of view, more from the point of view that they like fresh herbs, so that might be something to tempt her and get her at least nibbling on food.

Chalk went back to the vets this morning for a check-up. She's been eating a bit more overnight, and she went to the bowl this morning as soon as it was put in their cage and munched on some greens, which is good. Still very tiny poops, but a bit bigger than yesterday. So some improvment, but she's got a way to go yet. She's a lot more feisty as well- tried to chew on the vet's stethoscope cord! Sounds much more like our Cheeky Chalk :)

She's been getting lots of water from me- she drank about 50ml last night and another 30ml this morning- although last night she got so feisty she bit the syringe and cracked the barrel of it :shock:

I'm glad she is doing better! :D Sassy Chalk. Sounds like something Dolla would do. :p

mouse_chalk wrote:
For US members, it is the Libby's brand, the 100% pure pumpkin cans, right? I know it has to be the pure stuff with no added ingredients but just wanted to check.

That's the stuff...."Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin"
The only ingredient listed on the label is pumpkin.

The sweetened/spiced kind is usually referred to as "pie filling".

YIKES!! I just checked the exp date on my cans...."Best used by Apr 2008"
I didn't realize I'd had it THAT long!
Time to go shopping for more soon.

I think you answered your own question. I would agree that it might be better to tempt the appetite. What my comment did was to inspire you to look "outside the box" and make a decision on the big picture. You are now considering all aspects and that is what it takes to make good decisions when you run into a situation like you are dealing with. Personally.....if mint, basil, dandelions or anything like that will tempt her appetite....I would have to go for it. I am still concerned that the change of pH in the gut due to the antacid might make recovery take a little longer....but getting that gut some food will help.

I have run into the drug thing when helping others in the UK. I understand why there are such restrictions but it sure makes things more challenging. Metronidazole might not be licensed for rabbits....but you might check an aquarium store as Metronidazole (or it's other identity as Flagyl) is used in aquarium fish. You just need to calulate the proper dosing fora rabbit.

Randy

Glad to hear Chalk is on the mend - I cannot imagine going through this... I lost one of my Hollands years back from stasis - if I had only known about RO back then...

I also read with interest Randy's posts having had my mini mare Freedom go through impactions three years in a row right around New Year's - keeping her hydrated and drinking has helped - as well as a heated water bucket because she is not a good patient - she fought the NG tube the veterinarian had to put down her throat to the point she had a bloody nose and I had a few bruises... Freedom ended up with a sedative and probably a whacking headache by the time she came to. The other thing I use is daily wormer which has also helped but I don't know if bunnies go into stasis from parasites...

It seems like horses and bunnies have similar digestive tracts... but I am glad Chalk is home with her sister and is pooping - a prayer for normal sized poop and lots of it -

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
It seems like horses and bunnies have similar digestive tracts...

There are certainly a lot of similarities between treatments of horses and rabbits.

I've always thought of buns as being tiny little horses in a lot of respects.

DeniseJP wrote:
Glad to hear Chalk is on the mend - I cannot imagine going through this... I lost one of my Hollands years back from stasis - if I had only known about RO back then...
Glad to hear Chalk is doing better. Does she like the pumpkin?When Shades wasn't eating I would soak some pellets and mix it with the pumpkin. She loved it than eating straight pumpkin. Baci, on the other hand will not touch it.

You're absolutely correct Denise, I really think RO "helped" saved my buns and my sanity with all the advice and suggestions.

Glad chalk is on the minned Been follow the thread but did not want to post and clog up from the health discussion.

Keep on eating:litterhealthy: Keep on eating

Moms needs your box to look like this one

Thanks so much everyone! :)

Chalk is doing a lot better today! I'd say still not 100%, maybe at about 70%? She ate quite a few bits and bobs out of her breakfast veggies this morning, and then went for a snooze in her hay basket. Since me and Steve were going to be out at his office all afternoon, we stuck some of the greens in the basket with her, and she ate them all. Poops getting bigger, but still a bit on the small side.

Still, it's improvment, and I'll take anything I can get!

One thing I think I forget is that when they've had a bit of gas, or a minor pain issue or something, when that's sorted, they usually 'snap' back into their old selves pretty much immediately after. The 2 or 3 times I've experiences something more along the lines of 'true stasis', rather than just a blip, it takes longer for them to get back to normal. I remember after Chalk's peritonitis, she got better slowly- didn't all of a sudden rush to her veggies, she slowly over a period of days (weeks even) started eating more and more. I seem to recall that Dotty was slightly similar back last Feb when she had stasis too. Whereas the episodes that Snowy had the other week for example, she just bounced straight back the next morning and started scoffing all her food again. I should remind myself that it wont always be a straight overnight recovery, but maybe a bit more gradual?

Anyway, here is little Chalkie :hearts:

Reunited with Mouse:

IMG_1130.jpg

Eating hay:

IMG_1135.jpg

'What? I'm not sick?'

IMG_1140.jpg

Real stasis and not just a gas episodesometimes takes quite awhile to resolve so this sounds like "normal" for a bad episode.
Iam really glad that she is 'over the hump" and doing much better..... :)

I think I can now officially put 'Resolved' on this thread!

There was an empty bowl this morning, and she ate all her breakfast, and dinner tonight! Hoooray!

She was running around last night being her usual cheeky self- jumping on things and being nosey. She's pretty much back to the Chalk we know and love so much. Poops are just about back to normal size too!

Thank you so much to everyone who has sent good wishes and to Randy and Tracy for adding extra insight and helping me learn a lot more. I really appreciate it all :)

AND, I'm so excited for the pumpkin to arrive, too! I'll have a little tasting session with all the bunnies, and then freeze it in icecube trays for future use!

Here is Chalk eating all her veg like a good bunny last night:

P1040366.jpg

Back