Chalk in stasis- in the hospital

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
I'm hoping posting will be the 'jinx' that she needs to start acting like herself again!

We've been away at Steve's mum's up north since Sunday. My mum and petsitter (trusted, qualified vet nurse) were looking after them- mum in the mornings, and petsitter in the evenings. Mum called me yesterday morning to say that Chalk was sleeping in her hay basket and hadn't come out for food. This isn't entirely unusual, since she tends to sleep a lot during the day and both her and Mouse don't immediately rush to their food like the others do. Mum said she took a treat of a pinch of oats, and mum had her run about abit to get her some exercise in case she had any gas or something. Apparently last night she was eating hay, so the petsitter didn't see the need to give her Infacol or anything. This morning, my mum said she still wasn't eating either veg or pellets, but was eating a fair amount of hay.

Me and Steve got back at about 8pm this evening, and we think the petsitter must have been round at about 7pm to feed them at the latest. Barely any of the veg in their cage has been touched. She's pooed some decent looking poops just now, but there are a few small-ish looking ones in the cage too. Mouse is more than pooing fine!!

We've given her 2 doses of Infacol (Simeticone) and about an hour ago we gave her a dose of metacam since she was sat all hunched up, not moving and looking very uncomfortable. She perked up after that and had a run about and ate some hay, but she still wont touch any veggies, pellets OR a treat of dried banana, which she usually goes crazy for.

She turned 2 in August, is spayed, lives with her sister Mouse who she adores, weighs about 2kgish, and we think she's a Polish/mix.

She is known as 'Miracle Bunny' around these parts because as some of you will remember, last May she had a ruptured abscess in her abdomen that caused peritonitis and she had to have an emergency op that nobody thought she would recover from. She was in stasis for a week before she turned the corner. She then had another operation a month later to remove an encapsulated abscess that formed in the surgery wound, and another operation last November to remove yet another encapsulated abscess from her tummy, all of which she made complete recoveries from. Of course the first thing I did was pick her up and prod her belly, much to her disgust (I do it very regularly anyway!!) and there are no obvious lump or bumps, but as you can imagine I always think the worst with little Chalkie, considering all that she's been through.

She's drank tonight, so I haven't syringed her fluids yet, although I might before we go to bed along with another dose of Infacol. Of course, vets tomorrow. It's weird because there was Snowy a couple of weeks ago, Dotty 2 weeks ago, and now Chalk. It might all be coincidental, but it seems odd that 3 of our bunnies have had 'episodes' so close together recently :?

mouse_chalk wrote:
I'm hoping posting will be the 'jinx' that she needs to start acting like herself again!

We've been away at Steve's mum's up north since Sunday. My mum and petsitter (trusted, qualified vet nurse) were looking after them- mum in the mornings, and petsitter in the evenings. Mum called me yesterday morning to say that Chalk was sleeping in her hay basket and hadn't come out for food. This isn't entirely unusual, since she tends to sleep a lot during the day and both her and Mouse don't immediately rush to their food like the others do. Mum said she took a treat of a pinch of oats, and mum had her run about abit to get her some exercise in case she had any gas or something. Apparently last night she was eating hay, so the petsitter didn't see the need to give her Infacol or anything. This morning, my mum said she still wasn't eating either veg or pellets, but was eating a fair amount of hay.

Me and Steve got back at about 8pm this evening, and we think the petsitter must have been round at about 7pm to feed them at the latest. Barely any of the veg in their cage has been touched. She's pooed some decent looking poops just now, but there are a few small-ish looking ones in the cage too. Mouse is more than pooing fine!!

We've given her 2 doses of Infacol (Simeticone) and about an hour ago we gave her a dose of metacam since she was sat all hunched up, not moving and looking very uncomfortable. She perked up after that and had a run about and ate some hay, but she still wont touch any veggies, pellets OR a treat of dried banana, which she usually goes crazy for.

She turned 2 in August, is spayed, lives with her sister Mouse who she adores, weighs about 2kgish, and we think she's a Polish/mix.

She is known as 'Miracle Bunny' around these parts because as some of you will remember, last May she had a ruptured abscess in her abdomen that caused peritonitis and she had to have an emergency op that nobody thought she would recover from. She was in stasis for a week before she turned the corner. She then had another operation a month later to remove an encapsulated abscess that formed in the surgery wound, and another operation last November to remove yet another encapsulated abscess from her tummy, all of which she made complete recoveries from. Of course the first thing I did was pick her up and prod her belly, much to her disgust (I do it very regularly anyway!!) and there are no obvious lump or bumps, but as you can imagine I always think the worst with little Chalkie, considering all that she's been through.

She's drank tonight, so I haven't syringed her fluids yet, although I might before we go to bed along with another dose of Infacol. Of course, vets tomorrow. It's weird because there was Snowy a couple of weeks ago, Dotty 2 weeks ago, and now Chalk. It might all be coincidental, but it seems odd that 3 of our bunnies have had 'episodes' so close together recently :?
miracle bunny,,wow,,you bet,,lots of medical history there.//.you have seen her at her best and worst,,no doubt you have been through the ringer...what you have been doing is superb/excellent,,this gives her the best chance of survival...just keep doing what you are doing,but try to sleep-too...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Just seeing this Jen..

if she is drinking and doesn't look in pain then she should be OK until tomorrow.

Iwould have her checked out only because of her long GI history.

She probably missed you
let us know

Thanks guys.

She's not any better today. She's had a nibble at veg, but she doesn't really want to eat at all. Has pooed, but some very small poops and she's sat in this weird position with her tummy right on the ground and her bum lifted off the ground :?

She had 20ml of dioralye last night, another 15ml this morning plus more doses of Infacol, tummy rubs and warmth but still no different.

We're off to the vets in about 10 minutes with her. Wish us luck!

Hope she's better soon. She sounds like such an incredible bunny! She's a fighter! I'm going thru the same thing with my Baci. :(

Thanks everyone for the support :)

We're back from the vets. It was one that I've had an issue with in the past (she scruffed Snowy, I told her not to but ended up being a bit louder than I intended and she barely spoke to us again) but she was really nice and really good with Chalk.

She agreed that she seems very subdued, her tummy sounds very quiet and she is pretty sure she's in ileus (sp?) although isn't sure of the cause yet. Her teeth look fine, her tummy is sore, but no lumps or anything that she can find, and obviously having an empty gut in itself could cause pain so it's hard to tell.

She's been given Zantac and we have pro-biotics to give her along with fluids, Metacam, critical care, etc etc tonight and we're going back first thing in the morning and if she's no better then they'll either do an ultrasound or an x-ray. She saw no point in admitting her yet- she said she knows we'll do just as good a job with supportive care as she'd get in the hospital, but she'd be keen to investigate further if she's not better tomorrow, considering her past, and considering the bank holiday and weekend etc coming up. Although she did say that whilst it was a possibility, just because she's had abscesses etc before, doesn't necessarily mean she'll have the same again.

She's eaten some hay since we got back- we stopped by Pets At Home to grab a couple of bags of herbal stuff to try and tempt her a bit more, but not a great amount.

Need to go out in a bit to source carrot tops, because they usually get her eating again!

*sigh* Come on Chalkie, we need you better! And Chalk, why do you always get poorly near a bank holiday?! :(

sbaxter wrote:
Aw poor chalky get eating girl,hope she`s feeling better soon:sickbunny:
Thank-you! And also, I'm so sorry I haven't responded to your kind PM- I've not been on that much over xmas before this kicked off, but I'll get on it asap!

Chalk has had about 25mls of weak dioralyte solution this evening, another dose of metacam, more infacol, the probiotic and I made the bunny pesto again- carrot tops, basil and water blended down into a watery-pesto kind of texture. She took it fairly willingly from the syringe, which is what I can't understand- she's usually pretty good at spitting out food and meds when she wants to? I've not made the Critical Care up yet as I felt it better to get more watery foods into her but will give her some before bed tonight.

Her appointment tomorrow is at 9.15am, and if things continue as they have been tonight, I know that it's likely we're going to come home with our baby Chalk left behind admitted to the hospital.... If so, it'll be the best thing for her, but so sad and worrying for us :(

It sounds like you're doing everything possible. I think all you can do now is let her come through this on her own. She's a tough girl and I know shell make it.

Thanks everyone.

She's in the hospital now, for x-rays and fluids.

She was no better this morning- wouldn't even nibble hay or anything, and still just sat all hunched up. I don't think she'd pooed overnight either, because the only ones in the cage were normal Mouse-sized.

The vet we saw this morning was really lovely- I think she treated Chalk before when she had peritonitis- in fact I'm sure it was her who called after they'd done the x-ray to say they'd found a mass and did we want to open her up. She said her tummy doesn't seem to be overly painful but she thinks she can feel a 'blockage' or a collection of something in her GI tract but the x-rays will tell us more.

So now we just have to wait for a call later on today...

:tears2:

Thanks, Maureen :hug:

She's staying in overnight.

The good news though, is that the vet called earlier and her x-rays were clear-ish. They show that she has some sort of build-up in her tummy, that they assume is food material, but she has no other signs of anything untoward- namely other suspicious masses, or anything scary like that etc, which is a good thing.

Apparently she's eaten a bit of the veggies we took down with her this morning, and some hay, and the vet said she's been 'very cuddly and feisty' which sounds a bit more like the Chalk we know and love. She still hasn't pooed at all though, so they want to keep her in overnight to see if she improves. They would have sent her home this evening if she had improved, but she hadn't so they called back to let us know she was staying.

If she's no better in the morning, they'll redo the x-rays so they can see if the 'stuff' has moved on any further.

As far as I know she's getting pain meds, fluids, critical care and probably Zantac, along with cuddles from the vet nurses!

Poor Mouse is missing her sister a lot- she's eating but you can tell she's depressed- she's very quiet and not a single hint of a binky all day :(

Oh dear. Best wishes for some good news. Perhaps she ate something abnormal, like wallboard or carpet. Hugs to you, hubby, and mouse.

Back