Chalk has head tilt :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are praying Chalk can pull through with the extreme measures and efforts you are doing for her. Glad you are taking comfort that you have confidence in the new doctor who is handling Chalk. Hope Jen feels better.

:pray::pray::pray:

Quick update:

Jen still in a bit of pain so staying in Hospital at least another night.

Chalk much the same as yesterday, she's in a bigger cage so they've put some padding in to make sure she doesn't hurt herself if she stumbles. Slight gut movements - she produced 3 soft faeces while the vet examined her this morning, and has peed for first time in days.
All being well X-Rays tomorrow to see whats going on in her head.

Thanks for the continued support,

Steve

Chalk update for Monday Morning:

She's managed to pull her catheter out overnight which is much more like the feisty chalk we know! She's passing some small/dry faeces which is an improvement and the vet says that she's starting to have some decent guy movement sounds. So hopefully the gut stasis is now under control.

The test our old vet sent for E-Cunniculi came back marked as 'insufficient sample' so is having to be re-run. Not sure if this is just bad luck or if it's further proof we were right to change her care.

She's having a series of full x-rays of the skull around now. Just waiting for a call to hear what they find.
Bit worried as she is under an anaestetic for these - but hopefully she'll continue to be the strong bunny I know and not let it effect her for long.

Mouse is very sad without her. She is still eating, but I'm worrying she's missing her too much. I mentioned this to the vet who wants me to bring Mouse in to stay with Chalk for the duration she's in hospital. Initially was sad at this idea as would have to not have Mouse at home for days, but I think it probably is the best thing for both of them to be around eachother. She might help Chalk's recovery. So will be taking Mouse over later this afternoon and hopefully see Chalk first-hand.

The other bit of possibly good news is that the flickering in her eye seems to have stopped today. The vet said this isn't necessarily a good sign of anything, but that she thinks it may mean chalk is feeling a bit more balanced..

She's had the x-ray and they've found no sign of an inner/middle ear infection.

The anesthetic has caused her head tilt to worsen as she came around - but the vet believes from experience this will be temporary.

They are continuing her treatment with a view to her hopefully being comfortable enough to come home later this week. Hope that is how it goes.

It's possible - but didn't see any sign of it.
When she was first 'off' we thought it was her leg as she was stumbling, but the other neurological symptoms followed pretty quickly...

naturestee wrote:
Did she have a CBC?

*hugs*

Yep she's had full blood tests - all came back normal, no sign of problems. Tests were done last Wednesday - are being re-run today, hopefully fresh results tomorrow.

Tuesday update:

Jen is still in hospital - she's having a pretty horrible time waiting for them to do something... but hopefully she'll be home with me soon.

Mouse has been really sad last few days, so today I drove her the hour or so down the motorway to take her to be with Chalk. The vet thought this would be good for both of them. I was a little worried that Mouse thought Chalk had gone forever, she sat on the mat in our living room last night and just stared at me all night. Probably sounds mad but she looked so sad.

I was a little worried after so long apart the reunion might not go to plan - but the worry was unfounded.

I had a quick 10 mins with Chalk - she seems to be doing well compared to last week. Obviously head still tilted but she's doing better at managing with it.

Mouse was really happy to see her - as soon I let her out of the carrier she got straight into the other carrier with Chalk, and lay down next to her sister. Made me feel a bit better about the world.

scaled.php

Thanks for all the continued well wishes and support.

That's such a sweet but sad picture of them together! I'm glad Mouse was able to go visit her sister. Sorry to hear Jen is still in the hospital :( What a rough week for your family!

Chalk has been doing a lot better last couple of days.
The gut stasis is now a thing of the past and she's eating almost normally and drinking a fair amount of water. Everything is passing through normally again.

She still has the headtilt and is struggling at times not to roll with it - but she is doing better in herself.

Blood test results (re-test) came back normal, so she can come home this evening.

Just need to do some brutal cage restructuring and padding. Will be so nice to have them both back where they belong.

She needs meds 3 times a day which will be fun with Chalk, but I am lucky that I can work from home and be there to look after her for the next week or so.

Am I expecting too much to hope to see some improvement in her head tilt so soon? I know it can take weeks, and sometimes doesn't get better... but what are people on here's experiences?

Latest posts

Back