Chalk has another abscess!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

Just randomly popped on and saw this. I have been using Convenia with my foster who has head tilt and it has been really ace for that, and we have had no gut problems yet although that is a possibility. We have used Fibreplex from the word go with the Convenia to try and head off any potential problems before it arises. Just wanted to add that into the mix. We can't get Chlor Palm or Pen G or Bicillin over here (me and my vet looked into them) but we can have Zithi and Convenia, which is why, after reading some things Randy said, we went for the Convenia. I hope you get her sorted.

Thanks guys :) Randy, I'm so glad you posted as well... I really appreciate it, given how busy you are!

Flashy, thanks for posting :) Do you know if Convenia is actually licensed for rabbits over here? Is it given orally, or injected? We have Fibreplex, we were given it for Snowy when she was ill recently but never needed it as she made such a great recovery... Chalk has a very strong digestive system, apart from the stasis she had when she had the first abscess and the peritonitis...

I will definately try and find out about it.... thank you guys! It gives me a bit of hope that there are more options available..

She's still fine this morning- I had a look at her and I'm not sure if it's my imagination, or if it's a tiny bit smaller, or the same size.... the vet did measure it yesterday though so we'll know for sure when we go back. She's scoffing a ton of veg, pellets and hay still, and hopping about generally being her normal cute feisty self. I feel a bit calmer today, I think yesterday was just a really bad day, with all of that stuff added on. I'm not so tearful!

Edit: to remove me saying I didn't know about Convenia when Sas had already posted it and I'd replied! Where is my head.... :?

No, it's not licensed, but not many things are for rabbits. Baytril, I believe is the only anti bio licensed for rabbits over here, even Septrin isn't and that's equally as mild and as commonly used at one point. Most things, Zithi included, I believe, are used off license. That doesn't mean they won't work or are not safe, it just means if anything happens to the rabbit the company that makes it won't take responsibility.

One of the issues is that it works for 2 weeks in a cat (one injection covers two weeks), but people are unsure as to how long it works in a rabbit for because their metabolism is different from a cats and dogs. Tilly (my foster) was injected only last Tuesday, but has not yet had any ill effects from it, and has shown a great deal of improvement.

Nooo not my little Chalk. Get better soon!!! Im so sorry to hear this Jen, I cant believe your having to go through this again. At least we know Chalk is a fighter though! Big hugs! xxx

Just to give an update- Chalk's about the same really. I can't tell if the abscess is any smaller or not, but it defiantely doesn't seem bigger to me...

She hates me for giving her the Baytril- another reason I don't like it! Even the smell is bad! I tried mixing it with banana mashed up, but.... no banana lol. I tried mixing it with a bit of pure organic grape juice....she ended up with purple fur and I had a purple stained sofa! So I just had to give it to her plain in the end, while she honked at me :( Then bit me square on the nose :(

We go back to the vets in the morning for a recheck. I felt that even though I and lots of people here have little faith in the Baytril working, it would be good to stay onside with my vet and at least try it for a day or 2- then tomorrow when we go back I can use the line that, we've tried it, it hasn't made a difference, NOW can we try something stronger etc. I am really worried that maybe they just don't as a vets practice use off-license drugs at all? I really, really hope that she will be open to trying something else!

I need to try and find an article on Convenia to maybe print off and take with me- if anyone has any such material, I would really appreciate it!

Flashy, you say Septrin isn't? She was given that last time...

I'm also fighting with Steve on it as he feels that it's better to just trust what the vets think is best- be that Baytril, surgery, etc etc...

What I'm worried about most is that if they suggest surgery. I don't know whether it would be a good idea to go for it or not, to get it out and done with (hopefully) or to try and go for antibiotics in the hope that does some good? And if we do proceed with our trip (which we still aren't sure about), if she has the surgery on Friday morning will she be ok to be left whilst we're away? Or if she stays on antibiotics will she be ok to be left while we're away? She can be given medications while we're away, but still...

I just WISH I knew what to do for the best..... That's the hardest thing..... :(

She's still very bright and if you didn't know the lump was there, you honestly wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her....

:?

Oh, and thanks so much for the good thoughts guys- it really means a lot! :hug:

Oh gosh, Jen! Poor little Chalk. I really hope the abscess gets cleared up quickly and painlessly for her... poor purple bunny! And what bad timing in regards to the vacation :( I hope you can still go.

Thank you Shiloh!

And thank you Maureen for that link :)

We went to the vets this morning. Actually, we missed our first appointment, because our alarm clock didn't go off :? So we had to call and grovel and luckily they fitted us in a bit later. Our vet was fine and said she was just worried about us!

The abscess has grown.:( It was 1.5cm in length and is now over 2cm long, since Monday, and it's a bit thicker too. She said that given that, she strongly reccommends surgery, while Chalk's still so bright, alert, pain free and eating etc.

She did give us the option (she really doesn't want us to miss our trip) of leaving it, and having my mum take her back in for a re-check next week, and then if it's needed they could do the op then if we give permission, but both me and Steve said that we wouldn't feel happy knowing she was in surgery and we were on the other side of the world. And she did admit that there would be a risk with leaving it until we got back.

She did also say that she's had a talk with one of the other senior vets there, and they both strongly suspect that these abscesses aren't septic? And that they could possibly be some sort of reaction to something? I'm not sure on that.... I always thought that where you had pus, you had infection- certainly I know that to be true with me and my own previous abscesses lol, but I don't know about rabbits. I mean, the first one ruptured and caused peritonitis, but they always said there was a slight possibility she had eaten something, that could have perforated her intestine or something like that... The second lot we just all assumed were a reaction to the suture material because it was all along where the sutures had been. So they both agree that whilst the surgery is done, they will send off a sample of the pus to the lab, and also do a full blood screen as well (yikes thank goodness for insurance!!). She is fairly sure that the abscess is encapsulated so removal should be fairly straightforward.

Also, what really surprised me was that she was really open to using the Convenia! She seemed very interested when I said that I know of quite a few people who have used it in rabbits, and with abscesses and had success. I need to start another thread, because she did say that she'd like some anecdotal evidence from a UK vet that has used it with some success, just to be sure that it is ok to try. She said she isn't too busy tomorrow and is more than happy to do some ringing around for us, so we can try that as well as the surgery, to give us more chance of beating it. If that makes any sense. It's something they always keep in stock, as it's so widely used in cats, and obviously there would be the added benefit of only having to go back every so often instead of dosing her everyday...

So, if Flashy or anyone from the UK is reading this and you think that your vet would be happy to talk to mine about Convenia, pleeeeeease PM me or post here! I would appreciate it so much.

(As for our trip, we will only go if she looks to be recovering well, eating and pooing etc. The care arrangements we have are my mum is looking after them in the mornings- she will let them run about for at least an hour (I never asked her to stay that long, she just likes to!), feed them and clean them out etc, and she knows them well and will be able to notice if there's anything up with Chalk. 5 out of the 7 evenings are being taken care of by a local petsitter, who is also a fully qualified vet nurse. Therefore she will be able to administer pain meds if Chalk is needing them by then, or anything else etc. She's coming round tonight to collect the spare key and finalise details etc so I'll discuss it all with her then, but she's already aware of Chalk's situation.)

I say that though, but we really wont go if Chalk isn't well. I don't want people to think we're abandoning her! We know she'll be in good hands but if she's not right, we wont leave her.

Gosh, I wrote an essay there. Sorry! I'm so worried about her.... :?

We're dropping her off at 8.30am, with a packed lunch of veg, pellets and hay etc.... Clara (the vet) said she will make sure Chalk's at the top of the lists, above 2 cat neuterings to ensure the longest possible recovery time for her.

Wish us luck...

LOL! :D

Thanks Maureen :) I appreciate it! I assumed my lengthy reply earlier might have put people off lol...:?

I'm so nervous for her... Steve is more so. We keep telling ourselves that she's a strong bunny and that she's doing so great at the moment.... I only hope we're making the right decision... As I type she's running round the living room, stopping to munch a piece of hay every now and then and wolfed down her dinner tonight...

Oh Jen, I'm sending all positive thoughts your way. I'm sure she will be just fine - she is quite a tough little cookie. I worry for you and Steve, though. I think Chalk will do better than you!

Please keep us updated!

Jan

Thank you everyone!

We've just got back from dropping her off.

Before we went, we gave them breakfast, and then I tried to pick Chalk up. She'd obviously spotted the carrier being prepared, so she ran away from me. I knelt down and she ran to the back of the cage, stood in a puddle of pee that someone had left, and flicked it in my face!!:yuck Nice :X Cheeky girl...

We're to call at 2pm if we haven't heard anything, and we can pick her up late afternoon...

I've been feeling so terrible about sending her to surgery, but when I picked her up this morning, I could definately tell that it had grown, so I think its for the best....

*scared*
:nerves1

Back