Chaffing? There's blood.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailof2rabbits

Reaction score
Marbles is a little past 2 years. Not fixed. I live in the third world. I've met every vet I could find and I can't find one who knows enough about rabbits. I know more about rabbits than the vets I've met and I'm not about to trust them with a major operation on my baby.

Lately Marbles is getting more and more sexually aggressive. He's taking it out on a pillow. Just now I noticed a couple of small spots of blood on the white pillow. Is this chaffing? I checked him and there was a spot on his fur. Blood. I'm trying not to freak out. And I would take him to the vet but I would sooner trust the people on this forum than the vets here.

Should I apply anything? I've already taken the pillow away from him. He used to just snuggle it. I feel frustrated that I can't find someone knowledgeable enough to treat Marbles here. Somebody help, please?

Can you see where the blood is coming from? Have you checked his penis? If not, turn him on his back and gently press either side of his hole and it should come out. You might find it looks sore, or is bleeding.

If you can figure out where the blood is coming from then you can bathe it twice daily with cooled boiled salty water (one tea spoon of salt to every pint of water). Other people might suggest creams but I'm not sure about those but you might struggle to get those over here.

You might need some painmeds if he has done damage. Would you trust a vet to prescribe if you knew what to ask for? Do you have a vet you could trust that you could put in contact with a knowledgable vet elsewhere in the world to help his knowledge?

He doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'll check his penis. The last time I took prescription from a vet, Mocha died. I'm really scared. Would you know a really good vet who would talk to mine, if I could find one? I don't know how to begin asking the vet here without insulting him and making him care less for my rabbit.

I am sure people will know, even if I don't. I do know that Randy sometimes talks to vets worldwide, so he might be willing to do so.

If you went to the vet and asked for something like metacam, that would just help with the pain (if your bunny is in pain) and possibly any swelling too.

I am sorry about Mocha, but rabbits go down very hard and may have died even with the best care in the world. I do understand your concern though because I have lost a couple to vet error (not my current vet though, thankfully), and it's hard to trust again after something like that. It's good you can come here though :)

ETA, rabbit's don't tend to show pain unless it is agony. I had a guy who had his penis bitten by his friend and he didn't act in any pain at all, but it must have really hurt.

I checked. It's not bleeding. The tip is red though. Is this normal? Who's Randy? Thanks, Flashy.

It should all be pretty much the same colour all the way down. If the tip is red, it might be sore. Randy is ra7751 on the forum, you could PM him and see what he says or any advice he can give you. He's ace.

tailof2rabbits wrote:
I checked. It's not bleeding. The tip is red though. Is this normal? Who's Randy? Thanks, Flashy.

During copulation (in this case, with the pillow), the "member" engorges with blood and there is sometimes breakage of the delicate blood vessels. Blood and bruising at the tip of the "member" is not unusual and should heal fine. I've seen this many times in bucks that have been recently used for breeding.

Pam

Flashy wrote:
It should all be pretty much the same colour all the way down. If the tip is red, it might be sore. Randy is ra7751 on the forum, you could PM him and see what he says or any advice he can give you. He's ace.

Thank you so much, Flashy. Will get in touch with him.

^That's really useful to know Pam.

Would that account for the blood that has been found around?

I just want to add that Randy is not a vet but has HUGE knowledge. I actually did it the wrong way, I should have mentioned this thread to him, and allowed him to come himself as opposed to volunteering him (for which I have apologised to him for), but yeh, so sorry for doing all that wrong, to both of you.

Thanks, Pam. This is really comforting. Will still monitor him, but I'm so relieved.

Flashy wrote:
^That's really useful to know Pam.

Would that account for the blood that has been found around?

Yes, there can be some bleeding on the surface. I've seen some cases of quite a bit of blood pooling and bruising on the tips.

Pam

It's okay with me, Flashy. I appreciate all the help, but yeah, it might be best for me to wait for him to reply to this thread, if he wants to. I wasn't thinking about how impolite it would be to start pestering him. Hehe. Just really desperate.

Thanks :) Is the only way to stop him from doing that to himself, to get him neutered? If it happens once, is it more likely to happen again? Sorry for the questions, its something worth knowing.

Marbles is very fickle. He won't let anyone other than me or my husband go near him. I worry that the vet might not be able to contain him enough to even take a blood test. And what happens if he kicks and flails during the taking of blood? Could the needle break or could it cause his spine any damage?

If he hears dogs at the vet's office, he might try to run away. The last time we took him to a clinic, that's exactly what he did. He scrambled and ran to the corner nearest the door and buried his face in it, the poor thing. We've been having house calls since. The vet we call hasn't operated on a rabbit so we'd have to go to the best one I could find, but even then, she doesn't sound too knowledgeable.

The success rate here is around 70-80%. That's just crazy.

Do you take your bun to the vets in any sort of carrier? If not, your best bet might be a cat carrier because he will be safe and can't go anywhere. He might be scared inside it, but he would be safe.

(Don't know anything about blood tests though, sorry).

Flashy wrote:
Thanks :) Is the only way to stop him from doing that to himself, to get him neutered? If it happens once, is it more likely to happen again? Sorry for the questions, its something worth knowing.

Sometimes, but not always. However, since in this case, finding a qualified vet is difficult, I'm not recommending neutering.

Pam

No, that's fair enough. Thanks for reply Pam.

Thanks for all your replies, and to Randy for messaging me. There are no words for how much I appreciate the help. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hey there! Weve missed you around here (I saw your name online and had to check and see what was up:))

Im so sorry youre having troubles with Marbles. I know how scared you are to trust him to a vet who doesnt know enough about rabbits (or as I like to say, "knows enough to be dangerous").

I wouldnt panic for now. Great advice from Flashy and Pam. Keep an eye on him- especially monitor his urine to be sure theres no blood coming out and that hes not straining.

I know there are vets who do consults with other vets, so ifthings everget serious its probably a risk you should take. Urinalysis, blood samples, prescriptons etc should be something fairly simple for one vet to describe to another over the phone.

Anyway, keep us posted. Marbles (and Mocha RIP) always hold a special place in my heart. I'll be praying for your little man.

Haley

Back