Ceramic- Quick Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know if ceramic cracks? As mybunnies are outside in the winter I need to find a good sturdy bowl forwater, can't use metal as I'm afraid they may get their tunges stuck inout cold Canadian temperatures. Plastic cracks to easily. If anyoneknows just tell me, if not, guess I will have to find out for myself!

I've always preferred the ceramic over othermaterials. The nice crocks normally don't crack when theyfreeze, but they will break easily if you hit them onanything. I recommend switching them out and bringing thefrozen ones inside to slowly thaw.

Pam

I normally run frozen water bowls under hot water to thaw them, I was just wondering if this will also cause them to crack?

Greetings M&SMom,

Yes, ceramic does crack and the reason is because of air pockets in theclay before it goes into the kiln. The more air, the easier brokenand/or cracked.

As Pamnock said, nice crocks won't. "You get what you pay for."

-Carolyn

That sucks. We need to find a non-crackable, non-tunge stickable material to make water dishes with!

M&Smom wrote:
I normally run frozen water bowls under hot water to thawthem, I was just wondering if this will also cause them tocrack?
I had always preferred to put them in cool water to thaw -- I didn'thave a problem with the very heavy duty crocks cracking during thawingunless we tried to tap the crocks on a hard surface.

We switched ours out at least 2x a day, so they really didn't freeze completely solid.

Our rabbitry is heated now with an auto water system, so thank goodness we no longer deal with frozen crocks!

Pam

My rabbits are completely outside and exposed toour freezing Canadian temperatures. I go to school and have a hard timechanging them often, when I can manage to get home I change them atlunch too, but even then they manage to freeze almost frozen, I may tryceramic anyways and see if it lasts longer then the plastic. (whichlast about 2 weeks before the bottom cracks) Thanks for the tip on thecold water idea, will try it.

I have heard some recommendations of the rubberpet bowl from Jeffers. They say the rabbits *don't* have atendency to chew on them, and they are easy to pop the ice out of.

http://www.jefferspet.com

Look under the "crock style bowls" items #FX-P1 and FX-P2

I've also used a rubber bowl that has a material similar to"tires"? I had horse water buckets that were made of it andthe darn things were indestructible. The horses didn't chewthem and they couldn't crack. I used to have a couple littlebowls for the dogs made out of the same material.

Of course, the best thing would be heated water bowls :)

Pam

Back