Cellulitis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
I am fostering a rabbit for my local SPCA (which I do regularly) and on Monday she had her calicivirus vaccination. Now she has cellulitis, I guess the needle must not have been clean or something. It looks terrible, a big patch of fur loss on her sideand what hard red areas which looks like dried blood or something. It seems to spread right down her front leg which feels swollen and she is limping.

The vet has given me antibioitics and I have been giving her metacam for pain (although one of the nurses didn't seem to think a 14 week old rabbit should be having metacam?). I've just googled cellulitis and it's sounds more terrible than I thought, by the sounds of it rabbits don't usually survive because it turns necrotic. Has anyone ever had any experience with this before?

She is the most awesome foster rabbit I have ever had and I will be gutted if she doesn't make it :-(

Poor baby, I would think that the prognosis would depend on the causative organism(probably staph) and if it morphs into a full blown abscess or not. The antibiotics might take a couple days to gain a hold on it but once it does and the swelling subsides you are probably in the clear for the most part. It is possible in the case of extreme cellulitis and abscess that there is tissue compromised to such a degree that it later dies and sloughs away. I would think in a small animal such as a rabbit and especially with their tender skin that this could be what proves problematic. Hopefully for her it won't be an issue....I'd call the vet tho if you don't see vast improvement in 48 hours...sooner maybe if it continues to progress. Good luck and God bless you for caring for her.

Well her leg looks terrible but swelling has gone down and there doesn't seem to be any sign of an abscess. She seems happy, eats, drinks and runs around like normal so I am feelingless worried. It's hard to see what's happening because of all the fluff but it seems the affected skin down her side and leg has gone hard and stiff. I suppose it is probably dead now and, like you say, will slough off. Fingers crossed!

Aww poor baby! My mum has had it several times, so I know how horrible it can be. :( I know she's probably in a lot of pain, but I didn't think metacam is good for rabbits? I hope she recovers!

Latest posts

Back