Celebrity Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radar

Reaction score
I’m wondering what people would think if bunnies became the next ‘in thing’.

Remember when magazinesstartedrunningall the photos of Paris Hilton and her Chihuahua? Soonafter, tiny dogs became very ‘trendy’, and everybody began hauling themaround little puppy purses.

The same conceivably can happen with rabbits.

On one hand, I’m afraid that some people will getthem because they’re trendy and when the trend wears off, they’ll bestuck in a cage. And in the meantime, they will be hauledaround all over the place, over-heated and subjected to jeweledcollars, fur dye and other silly things.

But then I think it will bring so much publicityabout what great pets they can be, that maybe more people will stoptreating them as a rarely-handled cage pet start letting them be housepets. It may do a world of good.

The breeders stand to do well, seeing as you’ll endup with ‘bunny snobs’ all trying to one-up each other with pedigreedexotic breeds and the like. And it should generate a lot ofinterest and knowledge to be passed down to ‘common folk’ who may adoptfor all the right reasons.

It will help discourage rabbit fur fashions.

And of course the rescue places will get more help,especially from the big spenders that like being trendy themost.

What do others think?

Does anybody know of any celebrities withbunniesnow?

I am a HUGE celebrity-gossip-papparazzi lovingfemale and I have ALWAYS thought rabbits could be a Hollywoodtrend. I swore I would carry my bunny around just like Parisdoes with Tinkerbell because I wanted my buns close to me ALL thetime. After all of the research and actually owning them, Irealized they proably wouldn't become 'trendy.' I think theyare too unpredictable for photo ops. I would feel SO bad forthose bunnies being stuffed in purses. Then who knows whatkind of 'accessories' would follow...Von Dutch booties?Burberry Bunny Hats? AND I can't imagine Britney Spears witha bunny that is leaving little droppings in her Gucci petcarrier...:D can you imagine?

I agree, it would show what great pets they make and how loving andloyal they are. A rabbit Hollywood trend would be great forthe species. Perhaps more and more rabbits would be savedfrom shelters. Who knows? But all in all, I doagree with everything you've said, Radar! Lots of pros andcons.

What celebrity could you picture with a bunny in their lap? Isay Hilary Duff cause she seems so sweet and 'real.' By theway-Paris Hilton claims to have 600 pets. She has said shehas rabbits...? 600 pets!!??!!!

Paris Hilton has 600 pets!

Hotel heiress, who is known for her love or pets, especiallydogs, has revealed that she has as many as 600 pets in hervarious homes.

"I do know their names. I have Tyson the rottweiler, Tinkerbell's achihuahua and Bambi's another one. I also have a ferretcalled Rascal," the Sun quoted Hilton as saying.

Last year Hilton had enraged pop singer Britney Spears bysaying that her dog Tinkerbell was much better thanBritney's Bit-Bit.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1357346,00110003.htm

Kirstie Alley has a bunny named Strawberry thathas wry neck. She adores that rabbit. He stays in her bedroom with herand he has a big inflatable mattress instead of a cage.

Definitely was refreshing to see a bunny.

-Carolyn

Didn't Steve McQueen have a rabbittoo? I thought I saw that mentioned in "Stories RabbitsTell." I did a Google search but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the information, everybody. :)

I see that the poll has the majority voting 'no', butnobody'sreally explained why they feel that way.

I'd love tohearmore aboutthe reasons.

Thanks again!

I said No mostly because of what I learned in animal science, the 9 questions you ask yourself before you get a pet.

"Is this animal a trend or fashion statement?"

I remember that Sharpeis became very popular, and there were many manycases of abuse because of people just getting them because they are afashion statement.

I would be very afraid of abuse and neglect of rabbits, which is why I say no.

Thanks, Malo. I'm still torn about that myself. I appreciate your feedback.

I said no for the simple fact that animals arenot fashion accessories! It really gets me steamed to hear ofall these 'stars' who buy up and carry around little dogs like they arepurses or something.I will shush up now before Istart ranting.

Edited to add:

One more reason I am against this is that rabbits are not justpets. Rabbits are a multi purpose animal, havingbeen originally domesticated for fur and meat..then exhibition and thenfinally pets. Rabbits becoming 'trendy' would only hurt therabbit industry as a whole. Damaging the fur andmeat industries while emphasizing the pet industry. For theshow industry I can see this also having a negativeimpact. Another thing to remember about the rabbitindustry is that most respectable rabbit breeders would never sell ananimal to a star (for any amount of money) seeing as how that animal isnothing more than a fashion accessory to the star..a furry little dollto play with and tote around until it becomes 'uncool' . Iknow personally, as a hobby breeder, I would NEVER sell to a starseeking to purchase to 'fit in' with a rabbittrend. The pet industry for rabbits is comprised ofmostly bybs, rabbit brokers and large irresponsible profitbreeders....true honest to goodness responsible rabbit breeders do notdeal with the pet industry very often. As with the tiny dogsthe stars currently have they would most likely come from large animalbrokers who have no regard for the animals they sell..fed their'product' by unethical bybs and irresponsible profit breeders and do wereally want to encourage that?

BitterCowgal wrote:
I said no for the simple fact that animals are not fashionaccessories! It really gets me steamed to hear of all these'stars' who buy up and carry around little dogs like they are purses orsomething.I will shush up now before I startranting.

It's really ridiculous, agreed. Butthey certainlyare pampered.Also, they are in the hands of adults,not small children, which is a current problem, seeing as rabbits arenow most often thought of as a young child's pet (orlivestock).These peoplecan also affordthe vet fees.

If rabbit care educationincreases concurrently throughmagazines and sites like this, and things like the importanceofkeeping rabbits cooled and watered are heavily promoted,will it be enough?

(Don't mean to encourage a rant,may I suggestaherbal tea or a littlevalium before you type?) ;)

Edit: Ah, I typed the above before I saw your edit. Thanks for the reply. :)

Did you ever find the post on Kirstey Alley's rabbit?

Will *bump* it back to the top.

:)

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:

-Carolyn
Thank you very much. ;) No, I couldn't find it inthe archives, although I did look usinga number of keywordsearches. Nothing turned up. Any clues?

Sorry! :?

Can't find it.

Oprah did a show where she was on it and Strawberry was featured asOprah went through the house with her. I think Oprah did a 'make over'on her house...but not certain.

Best of Luck! Would love to see more stories about rabbits in the news.It would hopefully encourage more research to be done on issues such asWry Neck, etc.

-Carolyn

Radar wrote:
Carolyn wrote:

-Carolyn
Thank you very much.? ;)? No, I couldn't find it in the archives,although I did look using?a number of keyword searches.?? Nothingturned up.? Any clues?

The discussion here was just about the show that Oprah had on. We wereall so happy to see that another celebrity had a rabbit...and to seethat she cared for one with Wry Neck was even more touching. Sheobviously went so many extra miles for Strawberry.

If you come up with something, please let us know. We'll all tune in, I can promise you that!

-Carolyn

Martha Stewart keeps several Flemish Giants.They were featured several times on her show, and with Marc Marone, the"Ask the Pet Expert" on TV. She keeps them in her small barnbut they have their own outdoor runs and huge indoor pens. Sofar, she has portrayed proper care and nutrition, and she has the staffto make sure all her animals get the attention and care theyneed. Money is nice...

Carolyn wrote:
Sorry! :?

Can't find it.

Oprah did a show where she was on it and Strawberry was featured asOprah went through the house with her. I think Oprah did a 'make over'on her house...but not certain.

Best of Luck! Would love to see more stories about rabbits in the news.It would hopefully encourage more research to be done on issues such asWry Neck, etc.

-Carolyn
I've watched that Oprah. She adores her rabbits so much. It was so touching.

-Ashley & Flopsy

There is a comedian - Amy Sedaris -that is a HUGE Rabbit Slave. She played the wife/mother in the 'new''Cheaper By The Dozen' movie.
She has talked at the NYC HRS conventions and does major fund raising for them. She has a rabbit named, I think, Dusty.
Here's her web site:

http://www.amysedaris.com/

She is very often on David Letterman, and he always asks her about herrabbit. She then goes into a long (and very humerous) discussion onrabbit proofing your house, and what can happen if you DON'T - likedead telephones, computers, ect.
A few years ago, she was on Late Night and Letterman asked her how herrabbit was. She said she had died - and started crying. Dave was sotouched by her very real emotion, that he asked that they go tocommercial. They came back after she had controled herself, and shethen told the story of her adoption of her 'new' rabbit, Dusty. It wasvery touching, and I think that was the first I had heard of the HouseRabbit Society.
She is a great Bunny Ambasador, and VERY funny.

Thanks so much for the new info. Much appreciated. :)

I'm bumping this thread again because I just posted a story about thedifficulties of vet care for exotic animals, and Ibelievethat by increasing the profile of rabbits as pets, thequality of care will increase as well.

I see the poll is still going against the celebrity PR,though. Do people not want to see bunniesgainpopularity, or is it they just don't want to see ParisHilton lugging them around? :?

I don't think any pet should be a 'trend', atrend is something that goes in and out of style. When you get a petyou take the responsibility of its ENTIRE life, not justforthe length of the trend.

I am torn on the topic, I would hate to see all these people getrabbits, and as soon as the trend wears off they all get placed inrescues, or worse... BUT on the other hand, it may open up people tothe idea of rabbits as house pets, like the dog, and cat, and theywouldn't be stuck in cages...

So it's a tricky one...

:ponder:

Latest posts

Back