Cedar Bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacie07

Reaction score
I've heard that cedar can be harmful to bunnies,but I've also heard it's great to keep away parasites and to use intheir litter boxes. I'm a bit confused because after reading the backof a package of cedar bedding, it mentions nothing of the sort of beingdangerous to bunnies but rather beneficial. What are your stances oncedar?

They are selling the cedar. I've usedthe pine shavings in nest boxes foryears.Perhaps someone else remembers for sure what the cedar and rabbit urinedo when they get together. The fumes from the combination arewhat harms the rabbit. I was warned aboutthis several years ago, and whenever I sold rabbits to people, I passedthe warning on.

As I understand it, cedar contains a chemicalirritates nasal passages. Pine has it too but not as much, soit's still debated as to how safe it is as an animal bedding.You can buy kiln-dried pine shavings and pellets that have thischemical removed. These are safe.

There's more info and links in Bunny 101:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12084&forum_id=17

The packaging would not say anything bad about the product because theywant you to buy it. Just like all those fatty sugary treatsthat are made for rabbits are marketed as a way to vary the diet,provide interest, or bond with the pet but are actuallyveryunhealthy. There's no labeling regulations for these productslike there are for human food and drugs. Or at least not forhealth warnings.

Latest posts

Back