cecotrophes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayne.lover

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2 week old cotton tail wild bunny, that was born without eyes. I recently found out that I need to be supplying her cecotrophes. Do you know where I can get some? I do not have any other rabbits in the house, so I can not get any.

Or a wildlife rehab.
Or any other who has a healthy rabbit, but imo normal poo would do the job too.

But no, unless cottontails are different to domestic rabbits in that regard, they don't need cecotropes. The does do not leave them lying around for the kits, that would turn the nest into a stinky mess, rabbits main shield against being eaten is to not get noticed.
Baby bunnies might nibble at normal bunny berries though, or get their necessary bacteria from the doe just due to the level of hygiene in a normal nest. I don't know when cottontails begin to nibble food, domestics start at about that age, but afaik cottontails develop faster/start out developed further.

Depending on what age you got that cottontail, most likely it might not need any of that by now, if it's already eating solid food it. It's difficult to keep bacteria from seeding new territory, like baby bunnies, without thorough desinfection anyway.
There might some probiotic products out there that might help if there are issues, but I have no experience with that.

Last edited:
Or a wildlife rehab.
Or any other who has a healthy rabbit, but imo normal poo would do the job too.

But no, unless cottontails are different to domestic rabbits in that regard, they don't need cecotropes. The does do not leave them lying around for the kits, that would turn the nest into a stinky mess, rabbits main shield against being eaten is to not get noticed.
Baby bunnies might nibble at normal bunny berries though, or get their necessary bacteria from the doe just due to the level of hygiene in a normal nest. I don't know when cottontails begin to nibble food, domestics start at about that age, but afaik cottontails develop faster/start out developed further.

Depending on what age you got that cottontail, most likely it might not need any of that by now, if it's already eating solid food it. It's difficult to keep bacteria from seeding new territory, like baby bunnies, without thorough desinfection anyway.
There might some probiotic products out there that might help if there are issues, but I have no experience with that.
Thank you for responding! But yes she is having milk and solid food now. She was with her mom for about 2 1/2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back