Cecotropes not being eaten

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugill12

Reaction score
I have a mini lop that is a little over a year old. I have noticed for the past couple of weeks, there has been one day out of the week where she doesn’t eat a batch of her cecotropes. I took her to the vet and they said everything looks fine and she seems healthy. She is on a diet consisting of about 80% Timothy hay and I give her about a cup of veggies a day. I give her cilantro and romaine. I don’t give her pellets per vet request. When I try to feed the cecotropes to her, she doesn’t want them. Does anyone know why she would eat them most days and not some? I’m very worried

hmm if you see cecotropes, it usually means they're producing too much of it. The cause of this is usually from the pellets but since you don't give pellets, maybe its something in the cilantro or romaine that's causing it. Can't say for sure though :)

If she isn't overweight or have a health issue making it difficult for her to reach down there, there could just be something distracting her from eating it. As long as it isn't happening very often, and eating, pooping, and other behavior all seems normal, I wouldn't worry about the odd cecal not being consumed.

Back