Cecals - what are they D:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaraine

Reaction score
Ok so this afternoon as i was about to leave the house to take my kids for a movie, i would usually check on all my pets. I checked Dutchess.. and inside her pen was what they call a cecal (well i just found the name out by google)

So what does this mean.. Im really afraid something is happening to her. As this is my very first rabbit, i would say that my knowledge on rabbits are pretty vague.

As far as i know, when i got her home.. her pills were practically fine. Round and hard.. just the way it should be. But for the past 2 nights i gave her alfalfa hay. Which imo the breeder did NOT give before giving her to me. So for the past few days.. she has had alfalfa hay mixed with a bit of oat hay. And hagen pellets.

Im just with mixed emotions now.. Should i be worried or do i need to get her to a vet like pronto?

She is still eating like a horse fyi.. If you give her more hay, she can still finish it all @.@ My kids and i just played with her too.. she was binkying, running and active!

The short story is just that rabbits are prey animals and their bodies are made so that they can eat quickly the first time through and then later release and eat these special pellets called "cecals". Unlike regular feces, they are darker in color and have a strong odor because they're surrounded by a mucusy membrane. When they eat this, it provides the nutrients that the rabbit missed the first time.

Generally, the rabbit eats them as they're coming out and you never see them. But occasionally you'll catch them in the middle of it and see them or if there is a change in diet, they may no longer eat all of them if they don't need it.

So nothing to be worried about! It is completely normal. :)

Ohhhh ok i get it >_< anyways.. since they are meant to be eaten.. she doesnt seem to eat them. They appear to be smushed :S instead of being eaten. =x

This could be her adjusting to the diet change. She could be getting protein and calories she's not used to. As noted, all food changes should be very very gradual. Anything new is just given in 'bits' to make sure it doesn't affect her system.

And absolutely no treats at this stage.

If you have hay other than alfalfa, best to go heavy on that for awhile. Was she eating the Hagen pellets before you got her?

Make sure she has plenty of water. To make sure her gut stabilizes, I'd only give her hay and water for the next day or so, and maybe a pro-biotic. Not sure what kind you have there.

If the cecals get really runny and she shows any sign at all of lethargy -- looking tired and low key -- get her to a vet for a fecal test and some fluids (by an infusion) and a pro-biotic.

Not all Vets know much about rabbits. You may want to check our Vet listings in advance.

sas :clover:

This bunny is only a couple months old (if that) and will require more protein as she grows, but for the next little while, she needs to get mostly grass hay and water.

Alfalfa is pretty rich at the best of times and should really be mixed with grass hay. She'll have alfalfa in her pellets.

sas :clover:

Thanks for the fast response. I understand what cecals are now :3 i think she ate one this morning.. its a good sign rite? But i still see 2 being smushed >_< its like she's stepping on it rather than eat it.

How old is she? What is this pellet she's on, and how much does she get? It is usually a dietary issue when cecals aren't being eaten. If she's under 6 mo, she needs unlimited alfalfa-based pellets. Between 6mo and 1yr, you cut back on pellets a bit, to gradually reach about 1/4c per 5lb of full-grown bunny weight. Around 1yr, you should switch gradually to a timothy hay based pellet if you can find one.

It was more like a diet adjustment. The breeder that sold her to me, was feeding her on low quality pellets and as well no hay when she was at his house.

She doesnt have cecals now.. But if there was, it could only be 1 or 2. She eats them all now :)

My new bunny Cadberry isn't eating his cecals. His former owners only fed him pellets! They ran out the day I got him so all he had was like HALF an apple for a whole day! yikes! He's now on free choice tim hay, and about 1/4 cup of tim pellets a day. he's just squishing it around though, he's got it stuck to him all the time! (I think maybe he's overweight and can't reach them when they come out.??) I just discovered bene-bac and gave both the bun's a dose. It's been three weeks, how long does this usually take to clear up? should I cut back on pellets even more?? they are straight timothy.

It's smelly and gross, I can't wait for him to eat them like hazel. I've never even seen hazel's.

hoofbeats23 wrote:
My new bunny Cadberry isn't eating his cecals. His former owners only fed him pellets! They ran out the day I got him so all he had was like HALF an apple for a whole day! yikes!  He's now on free choice tim hay, and about 1/4 cup of tim pellets a day. he's just squishing it around though, he's got it stuck to him all the time! (I think maybe he's overweight and can't reach them when they come out.??)

Yeah, just saw your video. He's chubby! He needs to take the weight off slowly, but you can reduce his pellets a little, and definitely encourage exercise. Do you have a shelf in their pen/cage or a box that they can jump up on? Hopping 'up' gives the more exercise than hopping a few feet across.

What's the protein, fat and fiber count on the pellets?

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back