Cecal Pellets- Charlie won't eat them!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Charlie (along with 3 other buns). Charlie is fixed and is about 5 months old. He is always leaving behind his stinky Cecal Pellets. He will step in them and or get them all over his living quarters. I am really getting tired of cleaning it 3 times a day!

Can anyone give any insight on

A. Why he won't eat them
B. What can I do to make this better

He is given on Alfalfa pellets and Hay NO VEGIES

I have done the whole Benebac deal before and I am not too sure that really helped.

PS: This is spuratic...sometimes he will eat them or most of them for a month and other times he will leave them...

XOXO

At his age, you can start cutting back on pellets. That's what I'd do. If you don't want to do that, you could get a vet to do a fecal test on him to check for parasites.

tonyshuman wrote:
At his age, you can start cutting back on pellets. That's what I'd do. If you don't want to do that, you could get a vet to do a fecal test on him to check for parasites.

I don't know about cutting back on pellets, that will be part of the 'experimenting' (and will depend partly on his breed), but the fecal test is a good call!

sas :bunnydance:

He has had a fecal in the past and nothing came back. He is a Holland Lop - broken torte. He is about 5 months old. He gets Alfalfa hay and unlimited pellets for both him and his gf Puffin. Maybe cutting back on the pellets is a good idea. I will try that :) No treats are ever given to them bc I feel they are too young. Sometimes I give some Timothy hay mixed in but that is it. HTH

XOXO

Ah, I'd strongly recommend letting him eat all the alfalfa pellets he wants but cut down on the alfalfa hay. I'd start increasing the timothy and phase out the alfalfa entirely. But the alfalfa pellets are fine.

sas :bunnydance:

Yeah, I think Timothy would be better for him now as a hay source. We give our babies at the shelter mostly timothy hay, and alfalfa pellets.

Ok cool! This is actually great news as the other buns are all on Timothy! This means less space taken up and only one type of hay to buy :)

Thanks again for the info everyone!!

I had major issues with my tort Holland, Brody. He wouldn't eat any of his cecals and they would get smooshed all over his cage...it was so gross. The worst part is when they'd get stuck all over his hind legs/bum and I'd have to cut them off because they'd mat up.

Brody was about 2 (he will be 3 in August) when he decided he should start eating his cecals. Lowering the amount of pellets (1/4th cup Oxbow timothy) that he got didn't work, he also didn't eat veggies, got oats as a treat, and he ate unlimited timothy hay.
Ohhhhhh Holland Lops :foreheadsmack:. I think they are "special" and it takes a little while for them to realize some things :laughsmiley:.

undergunfire wrote:
\
Ohhhhhh Holland Lops :foreheadsmack:. I think they are "special" and it takes a little while for them to realize some things :laughsmiley:.

Don't tell me this aahhh LOL.

I think the timothy hay will make a difference my girl is 7 months old and on 1/4 cup of pellets and and unlimited hay not ready to start veggie just yet although she does eat parsley.

A. Maybe he doesn't like the taste. rabbits have different taste buds. u should try to buy him a different brand.
B. Try to add some molasses to his food so he can't pick out the food.
C.

Rabbits don't have to eat their cecals. Also a rabbit should not eat cecals that have fallen onto the floor. If the rabbit eats cecals that have fallen onto the floor that is a good way for the rabbit to get coccidiosis. Cocciciodis is often gotten by the rabbit ingesting fecal matter either from the floor of the cage or from eating food that has been contaminated by the fecal matter or by drinking water that has been contaminated by it.

When rabbits eat cecals they eat them as they come directly out of their bum. When they are eaten in this manner they cannot contract coccidiosis. Research studies have been done on this.

Eating cecals is a way of gaining more protein and energy out of their food. If the rabbit is getting enough protein they may not need to eat the cecals. It can also be a way of conserving water.

What you may be describing may be soft stool and not necessarily cecotropes. Cecotropes look like a small grape cluster. Where as soft stool will tend to be just one big glob.

Also be careful of feeding too many grains such as oats. These are made of starches which are alsoa form of sugar. Sugars tend to promote bacterial growth in the digestive system. Too much bacterial growth in the digestive system can cause diarrhea. Grains are also low in fiber. So its not just veggies and fruits you have to watch out for.

Another cause of soft stool can be stress. If it is hot that can cause stress. Changing the diet or moving your rabbit can cause stress.

Another cause of soft stool can be mold. Two places to check are any hay or bedding you may be using or the pellets you may be using. It only takes a small amount of mold to cause diarrhea. So hay that you feed your rabbits should not smell moldy or have a white powder look anywhere on it. If you use straw or hay as bedding it should not smell moldy either because the rabbit may eat the bedding. Also smell the feed to see if it smells moldy. Always keep the feed in a cool dry area to prevent it from molding. If it has sat for over a month it may tend to get moldy. Just because you can't see the mold doesn't mean it isn't moldy and won't cause problems. The nose is a much better indicator. If you had a batch of pellets that didn't look moldy, but smelled moldy and you stuck them under a microscope you would probably see little pieces of mold on the pellet that were undetectable to the naked eye. Those small pieces are enough to potentially give your rabbit diarrhea.

Don't cut back on the amount of feed you give. Give a little hay such as alfalfa hay, red clover hay, or timothy hay in addition. The roughage and extra fiber should help stop the diarrhea.

If you're worried about your rabbit stepping in the poop, then get a cage like the ones displayed at: http://www.bassequipment.com

Wire floored cages won't hurt your rabbit's feed unless you havea very large breed that gets over about 11 pounds when it is an adult. The wire floors help keep the rabbit cleaner, which is more healthy for your rabbit. And it makes them easier to clean out. Prevention is the best way to keep your rabbit healthy. And a clean cage and clean waterer are two of the best ways.

bearbop wrote:
A. Maybe he doesn't like the taste. rabbits have different taste buds. u should try to buy him a different brand.
B. Try to add some molasses to his food so he can't pick out the food.
C.
Don't add molasses to the food. Molasses is pure sugar. That will make the diarrhea or soft stoolworse. Molasses is mainly only used to help get a rabbit to eat when it won't eat because rabbits tend to like the smell and taste of molasses.

Rabbits should eat all their ceacals because producing more than they need is a sign their diet is too rich in nutrients, imbalanced bacteria etc.

I imagine your bun is getting to much protein and is eating tasty pellets instead of poop.

An medium sized fixed 5 month old rabbit I would personally feed limited pellets (approx 40-50g) of a brand approx. 14% protein, 18%+ fibre, unlimited grass hay, and start introducing veggies.

What's his hay eating like? Another thing you have to watch out for is you can end up with all sorts of issues later if rabbits don't get into good hay eating habits when young. Unlimited pellets can contribute to bad eating habits because they are tastier than hay.

tamsin wrote:
Rabbits should eat all their ceacals because producing more than they need is a sign their diet is too rich in nutrients, imbalanced bacteria etc.

I imagine your bun is getting to much protein and is eating tasty pellets instead of poop.

An medium sized fixed 5 month old rabbit I would personally feed limited pellets (approx 40-50g) of a brand approx. 14% protein, 18%+ fibre, unlimited grass hay, and start introducing veggies.

What's his hay eating like? Another thing you have to watch out for is you can end up with all sorts of issues later if rabbits don't get into good hay eating habits when young. Unlimited pellets can contribute to bad eating habits because they are tastier than hay.

:yeahthat:

I would not recommend feeding molasses either, at any time for any reason. The sugar is going to send the rabbit's gut right off with major over growth of "bad bacteria".

I have had young rabbits not eat their cecals either. It is gross and stinky, but once you find the trigger (too much protien, to much carbs) it can be controlled. Sometimes, the bunny just needs to mature more and that seems to fix it too.

I have never heard of a rabbit contracting an illness from eating a cecal off the ground. Sometimes a couple of my buns will leave streak marks on the ground from eating their cecals, so even when taken directly from the anus, they sometimes touch the ground.

For a pet rabbit in the home, solid bottom cages are fine, and very easy to clean. Just spray with a bit of 50/50 water/vinegar mixture, and wipe clean. I think wire bottom cages are more appropriate in a multi-rabbit breeding situation.

I also agree about the oats and carbs. I tend to stay away from anything with lots of carbs for my buns.

Push more hay, and maybe try some different kinds or mixes of hay.

-Dawn

Just rescued a bunny in poor shape. Have had him for three weeks this is the first morning he didn't have poopy butt!! I'm excited and hope it stays clean! He was leaving those smelly cecals EVERYWHERE. Also, he came with bad hock sores, and all he ever ate was pellets and fruits like apples and bananas! Now I've got him on a healthier diet. My vet recommended I switch between a few different kinds of hay b/c he has some questionalbe looking teeth that may be trouble later. Also, he's overweight ( I thnk that may have had something to do with him not eating his cecals) and he snores when he sleeps... :) If only I can get his litter box habbits a little better I'll be happy!! Good luck with the cecals! I also did the bene-bac for this guy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed today wasn't a fluke. Oh and the poor thing had genital absesses :( he really doesn't like for me to take care of them each morning :/

Tank you all for the info!! It is infact cecals and not runny stool. They are the "grape cluster" type ;) I try to clean them up as soon as I see them (which is generally after 30 min to a few hrs). I think the limiting pellets is a good idea along with a transition to Timothy hay. He does eat his hay and has always been a good hay eater. We did just move about a month ago to Palm Desert and the heat is much more pronounced here then at home. When I fist got him he wouldn't eat his cecals and then he got better...and now we are back to square one. Maybe the heat is playing a role in it? I try to keep it at 78 inside...

XOXOX

Diet is the main factor but perhaps the heat is encouraging him to be less active which reduces his energy requirement which in turn could contribute to excess cecals. I hope his new diet works, you should see an improvement quite quickly :)

What Tasmin said is true. Also, stress can cause them to not eat their cecals. I only notice uneaten cecals in my guys if they have just been on a long car ride (we travel via car to Georgia twice a year, and Michigan also twice a year), I've vacuumed too much around them, or they've gotten too many rich treats.

Latest posts

Back