Cavies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the cost too. But at the feed store you can also get huge packs of pine shavings for $6. With the size cage you have it will last month or longer.

The fleece is a good option too. Alicia uses it. Amy uses it for her rats.

cage looks great. i agree too with the cedar bedding too, but everyone gave some great alternatives to it . i have heard tons of people loving the fleece, they have pine shavings at the tractor supply store for 6 and it is a HUGE!!!!!!!!!! bag, then there is the Equine Pine i use, it is horse stall bedding 6.34 for a 40 lb bag. in a cage your size if you have 2 piggies it should last about 2-3 weeks, if you have one and you go pellet diving (as i so lovingly call it and go and pick out as many pellets and get the wet stuff daily) you should get a month easy out of the bag.

DONT throw in the towel now is the perfect time to start brain storming and coming up with the ideas of thi ngs and bouncing them off of people. Wehn i first got the piggies, i foster, i was going through bedding at 19.99 for a bag of carefresh and 19.99 for a bag of yesterdays news, and each was only lasting about 1 1/2 :shock::shock::shock:i was on my way to the poor house. i had to figure out ways to save money because i couldnt afford to put out all that money a month just for bedding. This way you dont have them now so when you do get them you will be totally prepared. The cavy cages site is an excellent site if you want to see tons of pics and look through threads for information.

keep us posted and keep thinking and experementing, and of course we want pics when you get them. I dont know where you would be getting your pigs from but there are tons of them at shelters and at rescues (i never knew, until getting into fostering, that there are so many piggies being turned in and given up)

Thanks so much everyone. I need to find something cheap(or that I possibly already own), easy to clean and helps eliminate odour.:brownbunny

Nice change!:D I deffo agree about the bedding though - steer clear of pine. I think you misunderstood what I said before, I just meant put litter in one part of the cage - I'd use fleece for the main part. :)

I think it's so great you're got your cage set up already, haha! Though I would too if I had my NIC grids. ;)

I have five and use http://www.guinealynx.com its the best site I've found. Ooooh now for some pics :)

HPIM0605.jpg

My oldest piggie Ginger who is 2 years

HPIM0446.jpg

Bailey who is 7 months

Photo-0154.jpg

Poppy on the day she was born :)

HPIM0462.jpg

And now at a big 8 months

And lastly mother and daughterHazel and Kimmi

HPIM0494.jpg

Well no..but she doesn't say no anymore when I tell her I'm getting them. ;) I'll be paying for them completely (food, supplies, vet bills etc) just like I do for the bunnies, so she has no reason not too allow me. :D

She's at my parents evening at school right now, and I'm hoping to have her let me get them as a reward for my glowing report.:p

So yes, I am getting cavies! :nod

I adore piggies. It makes me really sad to think that I sent mine away thinking I was allergic only to find out I had pneumonia and most likely could have been ok with it afterwards. *Sighs*

Guinea pigs are hilarious lil creatures and make a great pet. I love their sounds. And, they can also learn litterbox habits. They are usually pretty clean in that sense by nature. They will fling all your shavings out of the cage though so I am pretty sure you will end up changing that. Lol. :p

They're really easy going and if you take them out, you can let the bunnies play with them if they are supervised. :)Wiggles was firmly bonded to Piglet before I had to send her away.

Have great fun with them. I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

So here's an update. I have changed the cage.Now I have an old pet store cage(one of the large ones that they sell saying is "big" enough for a rabbit) that we got for free, and I attached to 4 square feet of cubes. But that's not the reason I wanted to update you. I was at the pet store two days ago with my mom, and I was looking at the baby guineas and my mom thought they were SO cute that I picked one out and I was about to bring it home! Finnally a pigger! But then my mom said, "hold on, I have to get some cat food. Call your dad and make sure it's okay." So I called him and he started freaking out at me! I was sooo upset because I picked out this adorable pig and I was about to bring him home, but then my dad started yelling at me. I started crying(of course) and he expects me to understand.....:brownbunny

I have 2 guinea pigs.

Here's their cage. It's 5 x 2 NIC cage.

gpcage.jpg

I use fleece and think it's the easiest. WhenI clean the cage I just roll it up and shake it off outside and throw it in the washer.

tamnjo wrote:
So here's an update. I have changed the cage.Now I have an old pet store cage(one of the large ones that they sell saying is "big" enough for a rabbit) that we got for free, and I attached to 4 square feet of cubes. But that's not the reason I wanted to update you. I was at the pet store two days ago with my mom, and I was looking at the baby guineas and my mom thought they were SO cute that I picked one out and I was about to bring it home! Finnally a pigger! But then my mom said, "hold on, I have to get some cat food. Call your dad and make sure it's okay." So I called him and he started freaking out at me! I was sooo upset because I picked out this adorable pig and I was about to bring him home, but then my dad started yelling at me. I started crying(of course) and he expects me to understand.....:brownbunny

If you are eventually able to get one you should adopt from a shelter :)

Umm hate to say this but maybe they aren't the best pet for you. You just had to put your bunnies outside do to smell and noise.

Cavies are louder and have a more noticeable oder. I can put of the rabbits litter pan a day the gp's noooooo way can I put it off when needed.

When they run around they make ALOT of noise, they squee and chitter ALOT.

JadeIcing wrote:
Cavies are louder and have a more noticeable oder. I can put of the rabbits litter pan a day the gp's noooooo way can I put it off when needed.

When they run around they make ALOT of noise, they squee and chitter ALOT.
I agree :)

Back