Causes of Bleeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffy

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have 3 female buns all bleeding at the bottom and I can't get a vet appointment. They are all about a year old and we are saving to get them spayed but I didn't think they developed uterine cancer until after 2 years. Also, what are the odds of all 3 developing it at the same time? I don't know what else it could be and web searches haven't come up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas? They are all lively enough but I'm very worried.

Do they have access to a male? Maybe a miscarriage might do that, but to happen to all three at once would be strange.

I don't know, but maybe some sort of intestinal parasites might do that? Or something like that? But that isn a random guess because I don't really know.

This might sound stupid, but are you sure it's blood? Sometimes cecals can look a bit odd looking and can leave a trace around the anus that looks a bit like blood. Or could it be that the area is swollen and red but not bleeding?

Is there any chance you can post some pics?

How are they in themselves? Eating? Drinking? Pooing? Weeing?

Thanks Polly. Moominmoo, they don't have access to a male and they are all neutered anyway. Definately looks like blood, really quite red on foxy : ( Apart from that they are all eating, drinking and pooing nornally. I keep watching them and its horrible not knowing whether this is serious or not.

No, they have had no change to their diet recently. I don't think its urine, it looks too thick for that but I'm away to check again

Red urine can look bright red.

Blood in the urine will look clotty, whereas red urine will be red throughout.

can u get a pic? so we can get a better idea. Sometimes urine can be really thick and look red but mine always seem to be slightly orangey. Are they scabby on their bits?

Just had another look and they are now getting really annoyed with being lifted so much. From what you've all said it could be urine. The camera is out of action unfortunately so I can't let you se it. What would cause their urine to turn red all at the same time?

No scabs that I can see.

Certain foods have pigments in that can cause red urine, so maybe something like that might have done it.

and also if their wee is very concentrated. Lucy has been doing really red wee today too so maybe it is something to do with Scotland lol Sometimes carrots, and not enough water drinking, um Lucy ate a lot of grass yesterday and kale have your bunshad any of that??

The only thing is, normally they are clean in that area and don't have any urine stains. If it is just urine why is it staining their fur now?

We just put them back on the grass today so I don't think it can be that. Carrots possibly but the've never had this effect before. They have water available all the time so I don't think they can be dehydrated.

Do you have any mouse or rat poison? I know that if your buns got into that one of things that happens is blood leaking out of the ainsu all though it would come out the mouth too. I'd make a throw check of the room the bunnies are in. if you find any thing supicus take it outright away. Also you should get your bun to the vet as soon as you can.

-TK

Like other people asked, does it look dark orange/rusty or does it look clotted? Blood will clot. And can you tell what their urine looks like? Clean out their litter boxes then check them frequently until you can see what the urine looks like.

I doubt all three would get tumours at the same time, although it's not impossible for younger does to have uterine tumours. I'd be suspecting a bladder infection. This can also cause them to stain themselves, because they are uncomfortable when they pee and can't get into the right position. I don't know if UTIs can be passed to other rabbits, but I think that happens in guinea pigs?

For now, push the fluids. If they have water bottles, give them bowls too. Maybe add a bit of vanilla flavoring or unsweetened apple juice into a second water bowl to get them to drink more. If it definately looks like blood, or if they continue to stain themselves and you can't find another reason for it, take them to a vet.

Did they by chance eat dandelions or red clover when they were on the grass? That has given my bunnies urine so red it looked like blood at first glance.

Are they acting normally? And still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping?

I hope its just urine. If not you really need to get them to the vet asap.

Are they vaccinated?

Red urine is pretty common and it can be hard to track down the cause. There isn't a normal reason for blood from that area so if it is blood not urine then call the vet for advice even if you can't get there.

Tamsin

Hi everyone, thank you all for the replies and advice. It looks like you were right and it was just red urine. I've checked them all this morning and they are all clear. One has just a litle staining and the others are clean again. I've never seen that before and got one large fright! They are now binking about the back garden oblivious to the drama they caused :)

Thanks again

Isobel

Latest posts

Back