Cats and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMummy

Reaction score
I LOVE cats, always have always will. I have had them in the past despite allergies and have only suffered mildly.

When my husband bought home two bunnies, I loved them instantly also.

Now we have the chance of adopting a kitten. I have read up as much as I can about controlling my allergies, however how on earth will my buns cope with having what is essentially going to grow up to be a natural predator around.

If it going to endanger the buns then I don't want to do it, however I have heard that buns and kitties can live in either harmony or at least exist on ignoring one another.

Help please??

Sammi

I have one rabbit, who is in an open toped 'cage'. We've got6 cats, one of which LOVES to be IN THE CAGE with Ash, my bunny.

If it's a kitten, I find, you can 'raise' them together, and the cat will be fine. Moo, the cat who likes to stay with Ash, has been around and loose with Rabbits, since she was old enough to be up and playing. As has her sister, Sock. They're both great with Ash. We even have a neutered male cat, who when he was younger, killed a bunch of baby meat rabbits that were out in the barn, now he comes into my room, where Ash is, and rubs him through the wire, loving him....

I guess it all depends, but my idea would be to start them out together. If you're getting a kitten, let it have supervised time out with the bunny, and go from there. :) Just keep a close eye.

From what I have read it really depends on the animals. A lot of people have cats and rabbits get along. While some people have rabbits that torment the cats! Some people have cats that don't get a long with the rabbits.

There are some things on the internet that you can read about introducing other pets to rabbits. You could do a search for it using your browser if you wish. Something about introducing them gradually.

Gosh I'd be real leary about having cats and bunnies together. Look what happened to Sas's new bunny after getting bitten by a cat. The poor thing sounds quite ill now.

I've read on here and a lot of other places that cat bites can be deadly to rabbits. I also worked with someone who's cat scratched her and it got very badly infected.

Your best bet would be to stick with just bunnies. Only my :twocents

Susan:bunnydance:

SOOOSKA wrote:
Gosh I'd be real leary about having cats and bunnies together. Look what happened to Sas's new bunny after getting bitten by a cat. The poor thing sounds quite ill now.

I've read on here and a lot of other places that cat bites can be deadly to rabbits. I also worked with someone who's cat scratched her and it got very badly infected.

You could have another bunny bite and cause infection, too, though. Cats honestly aren't the massive germ factories they have the rep of being. I have had cats and rabbits together for quite a few years, and have never oncehad a problem. As a matter of fact, two of my cats actually love the rabbits and will hang out and sleep cuddled together.

Yes, it can happen that a cat can bite you and give you an infection. But when you think about how many cats there are living with people, rabbits, dogs, etc, and how often someone gets not only bitten but an infection from it, I think your odds of getting hit by lightning are about as good. I have lived with cats for all of my 27 years, and have rarely had a bite, and never gotten an infection from it.

gentle giants wrote:
SOOOSKA wrote:

You could have another bunny bite and cause infection, too, though. Cats honestly aren't the massive germ factories they have the rep of being. I have had cats and rabbits together for quite a few years, and have never oncehad a problem. As a matter of fact, two of my cats actually love the rabbits and will hang out and sleep cuddled together.

Yes, it can happen that a cat can bite you and give you an infection. But when you think about how many cats there are living with people, rabbits, dogs, etc, and how often someone gets not only bitten but an infection from it, I think your odds of getting hit by lightning are about as good. I have lived with cats for all of my 27 years, and have rarely had a bite, and never gotten an infection from it.

I am with GentleGiants on this. We have 16 cats and 2 rabbits. We've always had between 19 cats and 7 rabbits living together. Most of the time the cats completely ignore the rabbits. They could care less about the furry hoppers. The rabbits chase the cats but I've never had a cat chase a rabbit.

It all depends on your introductions and the personalities of the animals involved. Most of the cats we bring in are seniors or special needs. A few have been kittens who have grown up with the rabbits. Honestly, our cats' main interests in life are sleeping, preferably in a sun patch or a comfy bed, and waiting for their canned food in the evening.

I volunteer at a shelter with over 100 cats. Sure, I always have some kind of bite or scratch and a lot come from the bunnies. It's important to wash and disinfect any cuts or bites immediately. In the case of deep punctures, at least on me, I always soak the part or use hot compresses to keep the wound open and draining. I have never had any serious problems with cat bites and or scratches even with my Graves' Disease and when i had cancer.

I just had to chime in on this one; Dana and I have 5 cats, 6 ferrets, and our 2 buns. For the most part the cats don't pay much attention to the buns unless they are on the floor and don't realize that the buns have been let out. In that case Zamboni takes upon himself to give them a good rub or two with his chin. Or he chases them around the apartment letting them know that he is the boss.

The ferts play tag with the buns but Sammy still hasn't gotten the hang of this game yet; the ferts will tag him and run off and he will just sit there. Or he will chin one of them and sit there. Guess he doesn't like to run much. He does lounge around with one ofthe cats when he has his out of cage time.

For the most part the cats will either get along with your buns or they will at least tolerate eachother.

Well I'm glad that you all have had great experiences with cats and bunnies. I however would NEVER have a bunny and cat together in the same house. Their are too many horror stories that the poor bunnies end very ill or even worse dieing (Look how poor Sas just lost her new bunny from the cat bite).

I guess we all have our own opinions on this topic.

Susan:)

I'm actually on the side of having cats and rabbits. My rabbit died because he ATTACKED the cat and received incompetent vet treatment.

And Scooterdidn't just go after the cat -- who is 19 and blind as a bat -- he kept attacking her again and again, right across a room as she was trying to run -- and he was only bitten when he practically stuck hisear in her mouth as he had her cornered andwas biting her face.

Scooter was a very unusual rabbit. While many of my rabbits will briefly chase the cats -- and Pipp will nip them if they come in my room-- the cats have never gone after the rabbits.

Right before I realized Scooter had an 'evil intentions' thing for the cats, he was hopping right on top of them, and that was fine with them, they didn't even move.

All cats and rabbits are different. But while an outdoor hunting may be an issue, I've never heard of problems with indoor domestics.

In all cases, slow introductions and intial 24/7 monitoring is advised.

sas

Like I said everyone is intitled to their own oppinion. And Sammi did ask for advice and she got both side pro and con.

Susan:)

You definitaly hit on a hot topic, everyone has an opinion on this.

As for mine, I agree, its good for anyone to consider the pros and cons of any interspecies relationships. I didn't know any better and my first bun grew up with them and thinking he WAS a cat so while I trust my cats and my buns, it truely is all about the specific animal in question. Being a kitten, it may be more prone to playing rough and nipping. I'm sorry your kitten went to another home, but keep the info in mind should you decide to adopt another. There are always shelter cats/kittens looking for a home!

If a bunny owner cannot monitor and does not feel 100% comfortable, then I think they are best off having rabbits only.

I always cringe when I hear of people having dogs and rabbits together. My bunny Melody came from a home with multiple dogs and she was just fine. One of my co-workers had an enormous doberman and a big house rabbit. The dobie loved to have the rabbit chase her. I know the relationships can work but it's just not for me. I guess I would say the same about rabbits and young children. But that's just me.

Susan, of course you're right, anyone who asks the question needs to hear all opinions and stories in order to make the best informed decision. I'm just glad we are all here to contribute.

Becknutt wrote:
You definitaly hit on a hot topic, everyone has an opinion on this.

That's for sure! Those of you with cats that don't chase your buns, I'm jealous!:)

Here's mine!:biggrin2:

Our cat is, for some reason, infatuated with Snuff. If we are feeding him or spending time with him while not out of his cage, here she comes. If he is out running about, she has to chase him, toy with him, etc. It drives me nuts, we are always having to to get on her case to leave him alone. She doesn't bite or scratchhim, but not to say that can't happen. (Like Susan said, look what happened to Scooter!:() It scares me even more now. No idea why our cat is obsessed with Snuff, I guess she needs a playmate, but isn't getting one, no more kitties!:? I just wish she'd calm down around him and just lay there and watch him. He never attacks her, he may play back, but doesn't get into "contact" when he does.

I think even more now, we'll just leave her on the porch (enclosed) for him to come out and play (which we have done), it's too risky.

I have mixed feelings on this topic.....but if you click on the picture - you can see a slideshow ...

Lola has no problem with the cat (Bella)....all Lola is now is confused! LOL

every time we have her out in her play pen" in the living room..Bella is right there with a paw in trying to get at Lola's toys...but let Lola move even a whisker and Bella will jump three feet high and RUN to the other side of the house...

and Lola sits there going "huh? I just wanted to say hi!"

Pipp wrote:
I'm actually on the side of having cats and rabbits. My rabbit died because he ATTACKED the cat and received incompetent vet treatment.

And Scooterdidn't just go after the cat -- who is 19 and blind as a bat -- he kept attacking her again and again, right across a room as she was trying to run -- and he was only bitten when he practically stuck hisear in her mouth as he had her cornered andwas biting her face.

Scooter was a very unusual rabbit. While many of my rabbits will briefly chase the cats -- and Pipp will nip them if they come in my room-- the cats have never gone after the rabbits.

Right before I realized Scooter had an 'evil intentions' thing for the cats, he was hopping right on top of them, and that was fine with them, they didn't even move.

All cats and rabbits are different. But while an outdoor hunting may be an issue, I've never heard of problems with indoor domestics.

In all cases, slow introductions and intial 24/7 monitoring is advised.

sas

I have to agree with Pipp, Scooter should not be held to "the bunny standard" when it comes to buns dealing with cats. Scooter would attack "EVERY NEWTHING"in his wake "BUT PRESENTED HIMSELF AS BEING SUBMISSIVE"when entering her house. Who would have thought that Scooter would attack a cat? He seemed to hate humans (probably was abused or had SOME incident that made him SO wary and aggressive). He had, as far as I know,not been exposed to cats or had alot of "free roam" time, so he wasout of his element andassumingtrying to asset his dominance which, unfortunately- brought him down.

If you take in ANY animal to your home and need to introduce them to another "established" animal, baby steps are needed as they might "show" you a different side to them, but left to their own devices, they might act differently.

I certainly think we all should try to expose animals to each other as some find a great bond with different species - cat and buns or buns and dogs/goats/ferrets etc..

Don't think just because one is "prey" that you can't break this wall down - too many YouTube video's of animals sleeping and cleaning each other to think we need to keep them separated.

Take all advice to heart and think about your limits if you try to take in another animal and they do not make friends - what would you do with the new animal? Do you have an area for them to live by themselves? Do you have the time to spend with both animals to give them enough attention or could you foster while trying to find the right match?

Wish you the best of luck in your journey and update what your thinking..

Just found this. Here is Dr. Frankenbunny on her visit to the cat shelter. She wasn't allowed in the shy room complex for fear she would terrorize the residents.

mel7.jpg

She visited the big room and the kitchen office areas.

big_room3.jpg

ROFL! That orange cat in the top pic looks terrified! And Mel is just eyeballing him, like, "Try it, buddy." Great shot. Very nice looking shelter area, too.

Latest posts

Back