Catching my bunny in my yard - how to?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score

Yesterday I let Peaches out in the backyard. Out of my two rabbits, he's the big softee, he'll lay down for pets and when he's out in his run, he'll do binkys but because he's a teddylionhead he seems much larger than Popcorn who's a single mane lionhead & much slimmer, his binkys are much smaller, making him look like he's fat. But when I break out the treats, he does what I ask. Popcorn will bunny 500 around his run and do vertical binkys that are over 1 foot high and he runs super fast even in that small area.

So I let Peaches out yesterday and once he hit the grass he was off & running - I haven't seen him run like that since last summer since his run doesn't allow him to get much speed or distance. Well my problem became apparent when I tried to get him back inside. I tried bribing him with dried papaya - not working. I tried to coax him into his carried since he doesn't want to be carried. - not working. He runs away when I try to get near him. When he'd flop down, I tried approaching him, I'd get to pet him once before he jumped up - he knew what I was doing. I finally caught him when he seemed overly interested in smelling something and wasn't paying attention. When I put him back in his cage, he flopped immediately & looked super content. Is it okay if his nose is going super fast? I usually associate that with fear but I may be wrong.

Now my dilemma: I would like to let Popcorn out - you know my Speedy Gonzales bunny. I brought him out with the carrier earlier this week and put him in an Xpen. He's never been outside since we got him in November. But he didn't want to come out and when he did, he looked terrified. I plan on bringing him out without the carrier and watching him in the Xpen until he becomes accustomed to the outside. Now once he gets used to that I'll be able to let him in the yard - supervised of course. How am I supposed to catch him? I doubt he'll listen or respond to treats (which he won't eat if he's stressed - like if I brush him outside of his cage he won't eat any of the treats offered). If he runs with the speed of sound, how can I catch him to bring him back inside? I suppose we could round him up if there were many of us there to grab him. I don't want to use a leash - first cuz he's never been on one, but if he starts running to stretch his legs, he won't be able to on a leash.

Any suggetions?

Can you make a BIG run out of NIC or something to keep hin confined so you can catch him when you are ready to go in?

When I had the house I was always afraid to let them out in the yard. We had hawks and cats roaming the neighbourhood..

I'm going to bring them out om the balcony this summer one at atime. Maybe only Buttercup as he's too old to jump. I'll do some flower pots with flowers/herbs that he likes.

So as you can see I was really no help. lol:confused2:

Susan:)

We got a folding playpen at Petsmart that works pretty well. I also take apple boxes, the ones with a top and bottom and cut a door in one side and put a litter box full of hay or newspaper down. When it's time to go up, I usually walk toward them and they go right into the box--most of the time.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you said you DID NOT want to use a leash. I get that. I don't have a choice because I do not have a fenced yard. Also these Big crows seem to hover around. It makes me nervous.They had never used one before and they handled it pretty good. I figured out ways to put it on them. If you can use one of those folding fences you could make a huge area. And then when you want to grab him start folding the fence down smaller. And eventually he will be in a smaller space to catch him.

I am going to suggest a bunny harness with a leash. I used one for my very first rabbit and he actually very much enjoyed the harness. Granted, he adored me and would just lay under my legs and eat grass the whole time we were outside. Lol!

The harness/leash works for you in two ways:

1) It gives you control over the bunny while you are outside, this is especially great for a timid/nervous bun. My buns have seem to be calmed by the feel of a snug harness around their bodies.

2) If bunny decides he wants to run, just let go of the leash. That's it. But then that leash will provide you something easier to grab when you decide it's time to come in.

Popcorn might be dragging around a little something extra, but it probably won't bother him too much and it offers you the reassurance that you'll be able to reel him in when it's time to go back inside.

I may try the leash, I'm only worried that the leash would catch on something as they're running around - it may still be a better option than running after them...

Back