Cataract?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 6.5-year-old part Angora part Dutch bunny who about a month ago, had a bluish white circle appear in one eye and it has now started showing in the other eye too. I consulted a exotic animal vet who at first suggested it could be either an E culi infection or cataract, however, seems surer it is cataract after all after seeing pictures(attached). She says there's not much we can about it.

I would appreciate advice / thoughts from those who've had a similar problem. Is cataract in bunnies treatable? Is it normal for a bunny to develop this so early on( 6.5 is not that old, is it?).

Thank you.

15595_080738_050000003.jpg

15595_080738_050000001.jpg

15595_080738_050000002.jpg

15595_080738_050000000.jpg

keerthi.priyadharshini wrote:
I have a 6.5-year-old part Angora part Dutch bunny who about a month ago, had a bluish white circle appear in one eye and it has now started showing in the other eye too. I consulted a exotic animal vet who at first suggested it could be either an E culi infection or cataract, however, seems surer it is cataract after all after seeing pictures(attached). She says there's not much we can about it.

I would appreciate advice / thoughts from those who've had a similar problem. Is cataract in bunnies treatable? Is it normal for a bunny to develop this so early on( 6.5 is not that old, is it?).

Thank you.

15595_080738_050000003.jpg

15595_080738_050000001.jpg

15595_080738_050000002.jpg

15595_080738_050000000.jpg

It does look very like cataract's, I have posted you a link to a site that may be of interest to you :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/cataract.pdf

My 7 year old dwarf rabbit has them in both eyes. Just by looking at his eyes you cant tell he has them. No it is not treatable, but I agree with the above post. If your rabbit did have a cataract you'd ve able to tell by his behaviour. Does he nudge the furniture, his foodbowl, your harnd? Is he more alert than usual? Does he get suspicious or scared of the slightest noise? They say not to move objects or your rabbit might bump into things but generally my rabbits other senses are so good he is perfectly fine and doesn't need his sight! 6 and a half is not early at all (in my experience) to develop a cataract.

Oh wow I gor told there was nothing we could do to treat it... Maybe my rabbits case is too far advanced or something.

I hope you can get it treated! :D

Yes it can be treated it really depends on how advanced it is to what treatment they can give.

The best thing is to see your vet who should be able to tell you what treatment is available for your bunny.

Just noticed you live in Cheshire, I was born in Cleveleys, near Blackpool Lancashire

:)

Oh okay I'll go ask about treatment next time I'm at the vets. I wouldn't really get him treatment though if they quoted me a price which was too expensive, afterall he has adapted very well to life with the cataracts... The vets even agreed. :)

Haha small world isn't it! I've only really been round that area a couple of times, I live the other end of cheshire. :)

Latest posts

Back