Cat has ear mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Okay guys...it looks like Sunny has ear mites (which means Hobbes will also be treated)...but they are our two cats.

I haven't been able to let the buns out in the past couple weeks (I know...bad mama...but it was with us being gone and such)...so they haven't had ANY direct contact whatsoever.

Is it possible that the kitties (though it isn't bad AT ALL) could've passed the mites onto the buns? Is there any sure-fire way for ME to check the buns' ears to be sure? Or should I take them all to the vet?

We're kinda having money troubles, so if I don't have to take them in (thinking about the fact that we've caught this early with the kitties, and they don't get any direct contact), it would be best.

So...let me know?

Thanks,

Rosie*

Edited to add: would it be okay to buy an ear mite medication and treat the buns just in case? Would this be harmful to their health?

Hi,

Depends on what kind of mite it is if it can transfer. I wouldn't take a chance...go to a vet. Simple ear swab and a peek under a microscope is all it takes. I would be very cautious about using over the counter ear mite medication. We usually use Revolution and in some cases ivermectin. Dosing is very important. Safer to involve a rabbit savvy vet if you have never administered these type meds before. BTW...many of the mites can also infect humans and are quite uncomfortable.

Randy

Ya know, I was thinking back to when I first got Carmel and she did have ear mites.The vetprescribedher medicine and although they found no ear mites in Buddy, they gave him medicine too as preventative I guess.

At the vet I go to, the diagnostic tests are pretty expensive. So I'm wondering if you can reduce costs by having only one or two of your buns tested and then maybe vet will prescribe meds for all buns for preventative.

But then while I'm typing this I realize that even if the buns you have tested are negative, you could still have one that does have ear mites and you wouldn't know. :?

Sorry this isn't very helpful, but I still posted it just to let you know about Buddy receiving preventative treatment.

Very best of luck with all this

Latest posts

Back