Cat got locked in room with rabbit. Rabbit ok but scared. Will he be ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score

These people were at my house last night and they locked my cat in the room with my rabbit and I didn't know. The cat was in there for about an hour and when I went in his litter box was knocked over, there was sawdust on the floor from the cage, the water bottle was knocked over and the rabbit was so scared.
Thankfully the rabbit didn't get a heart attack or anything. He seems fine but is still very scared this morning. I'm trying to let him have some time alone to calm down.

Do you think he will be ok? Like it has past by now and its over 14 hours ago. I'm going to look out for any abscesses that may appear if the cat scraped him but I cant see any scrape in him.

Thanks.

Hes in the room where he is usually in, I do bring him down during the day but I think today I will leave him there. Do you think I should let him out of his cage or just keep him in his cage for a few days?

I went in to give him some vegetables. I gave him some parsely and some carrot tops and at first he just didn't move then he smelt them and ate some of them and was still eating when I left so Im happy.

If he got even a small cat scratch or bite thiswould be very dangerous to a rabbit and would need to be treated with strong antibiotics ;I would guess that he will survive the stress of the event but you need to look him over closely to be absolutely sure there are no scratches or bites.

keep checking him for several days as often a scratch will not be detectable until it begins to scab.

Is the top of his cage covered? Does he have a box to hide in? Rabbits feel safe if they can run into a 'hidey' box -- I use a cardboard box with a few holes cut into it.

(I used to cut out 'doors' but I'm realizing that they like smaller holes just big enough to jump through).

Rabbits kept in an uncovered cage with no safety zones will be very stressed, especially in situations like that.

The adrenaline can cause serious health problems, you'll have to keep an eye on him over the next few days for that reason as well as the possibility of a bite -- although cats attacking rabbits in that situation is rare. Its more likely the cat was curious and the rabbit panicked.

sas :clover:

I dont think he would have bit him as it was thru the cage, maybe scraped him and i will look out for it. Would the cat still carry diseases considering that he dosnt catch mice or rats? Hes an indoor cat but I bring hin out for walks on leash so I know he doesnt go hunting. x

Rabbit seems good now, little bit scared, I will let him out of the cage tonight and see how he is.

Cat's claws are dirty becuase of the litter box, every time they poop and pee cover it and dig into the litter with the paws and there claws are out.

the only time James (my rabbit) freaks about the cats is when he is out of his cage. my new foster sits ontop of his cage and pokes him.

however my Felmish (Lily), once she got to bigger then the cats and started to chase them around the the apartment, they dont mess with her anymore. I fell a little bad for my male he bearly likes me, now he's got a 12lb rabbit chasing him around his home.

Ya, I never though about the dirt etc.. Ill keep a close eye and hopefully see more of his body when hes out hoping around x

I had something like that happen when I adopted a new dog. My Benjamin ended up going into something like shock because of his fear. I did call the vet, and he said to keep him warm and quiet until he became more like himself.

I think it is good to leave your bunny in a quiet, warmroom for a few days. It is good he ate a little, but make sure you watch for output. Veggies to entice him to eat, but lots of hay as usual.

No one's fault, so remain calm for him to sense that you are okay. Your friend just didn't know the rules of the house. Hope he feels better soon.

myheart

michellexgix wrote:
These people were at my house last night and they locked my cat in the room with my rabbit and I didn't know. The cat was in there for about an hour and when I went in his litter box was knocked over, there was sawdust on the floor from the cage, the water bottle was knocked over and the rabbit was so scared.
Thankfully the rabbit didn't get a heart attack or anything. He seems fine but is still very scared this morning. I'm trying to let him have some time alone to calm down.

Do you think he will be ok? Like it has past by now and its over 14 hours ago. I'm going to look out for any abscesses that may appear if the cat scraped him but I cant see any scrape in him.

Thanks.
as i re/read this post,,i take it the rabbit was in a cage,yes.??--need to examine everything about the rabbit,,behavior,,physical condition,,any blood in the cage,eyes ears mouth--keep an eye on the poops,etc--sometimes we/they are lucky enough to survive these tramatic lessons...i am one such person,,i accidently let the cat in the bedroom as i exited-for about an hour,,returning to find the cat wanting out of the bedroom and upon examining my cottontail,found blood from an eye wound,,and a pool of blood where the rabbit defended himself losing his right rear toe nail...he healed up nicely,,and a baby gate was installed outside the bedroom door--works wonderful--so far,,yes the rabbit is free roaming.,his habitat..sincerely james waller..ps i trust your bun will be ok--but watch for any changes,,..

Latest posts

Back