cat chasing rabbit, just playing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree at several points there.
It all depends on the individual characters. You can't make blanket statements like that.

Cats are way different than dogs, on so many levels, they don't have the "family" concept most dogs have. Some get along with rabbits without an issue, cuddle and everything, but chasing and "playing" can easily be a problem. Even accidential injuries can end bad for the rabbit, and who didn't ever lose some blood when playing with cats? Rabbits do not play that way anyway.
Might be less of a problem with declawed cats, but that is considered cruelty and is completly illegal over here.

My neighbours cat, hunter and killer of wild rabbits, tried to sneak up to Fury, my first rabbit, she just hopped over and sniffed the cat, who lost interest instantly and permanently. I could have not tought her that, if the rabbit would have run away it would have been fair game every time I turned my back. Something that doesn't behave like prey obviously wasn't considered prey. Imo running away is not a good reaction regarding cats.

Dogs are a completly different matter. I trust a dog alone with my rabbits after 1-2 days (if he has the right personality). Uhm, and many (not all) dogs get along with cats well enough, if they are part of the household, or are introduced properly.

Proffessional animal experts make great TV shows, but when you think you need one you should first reconsider if whatever venture you're engaged in isn't still out of your league right now...
I second your last statement though, yes, sometimes random people think their rather narrow experience renders other peoples opinion "ignorant" when it comes to owning a pet...

Last edited:
I disagree at several points there.
It all depends on the individual characters. You can't make blanket statements like that.

Cats are way different than dogs, on so many levels, they don't have the "family" concept most dogs have. Some get along with rabbits without an issue, cuddle and everything, but chasing and "playing" can easily be a problem. Even accidential injuries can end bad for the rabbit, and who didn't ever lose some blood when playing with cats? Rabbits do not play that way anyway.
Might be less of a problem with declawed cats, but that is considered cruelty and is completly illegal over here.

My neighbours cat, hunter and killer of wild rabbits, tried to sneak up to Fury, my first rabbit, she just hopped over and sniffed the cat, who lost interest instantly and permanently. I could have not tought her that, if the rabbit would have run away it would have been fair game every time I turned my back. Something that doesn't behave like prey obviously wasn't considered prey. Imo running away is not a good reaction regarding cats.

Dogs are a completly different matter. I trust a dog alone with my rabbits after 1-2 days (if he has the right personality). Uhm, and many (not all) dogs get along with cats well enough, if they are part of the household, or are introduced properly.

Proffessional animal experts make great TV shows, but when you think you need one you should first reconsider if whatever venture you're engaged in isn't still out of your league right now...
I second your last statement though, yes, sometimes random people think their rather narrow experience renders other peoples opinion "ignorant" when it comes to owning a pet...
You’re right, a blanket statement such as mine was probably just as ignorant as the people I was talking about. But I wasn’t trying to say cats and dogs are the same, but I am saying cats can be trained in a similar manner as dogs. There are different things to do to have a similar outcome, but cats aren’t dumb. They have the ability to restrain themselves should you spend the time to teach them that. But I agree that rabbits don’t play the same. However, there are exceptions. I actually met a rabbit at a rescue that plays tug-of-war, which isn’t something you typically hear of a rabbit doing. So I think the whole “cats chasing rabbits” thing is a very unique case that can be okay, but its usually better safe than sorry. I entirely don’t agree to keep the animals separate though. It’s not really something that’s entirely necessary in most cases. But that’s where judgement comes in. For me, I trust my cats around my rabbit. Every once in a while, my cats will chase, but I put a stop to it quickly, and it never seems to go much further. Nothing has happened in the many times I have left, so I’ve definitely grown to trust them together.

I know this thread is old, but I think a lot of the people on here don’t know what they’re talking about. I think it’s perfectly okay that your cats and rabbits interact with each other, and it’s okay that they are not separated.

hah! Separated! My rabbit has his own room, which I close him in for the night and let him out during the day so he has another room and the hallway. The other morning I hear a meow coming from his room, which I was pretty certain wasn’t him. Turns out I had also locked one of our cats in there, too. The cat was really annoyed but Marlowe seemed upset that the cat was leaving- tried to block her! I had no idea the cat was in there. She’s gone in to look out the window before but never at night. The other cat runs away every time she sees the rabbit which isn’t often since she can’t clear the gate like the other can.

Latest posts

Back