Cat caught a wild bunny, not sure how to handle this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found Nest / Cat caught / Dog caught (in above link, I Found A Baby Rabbit)

^ All helpful information to novice humans who wish to do the right thing, and give cottontails the best chance of survival.

As a sidenote, I routinely correspond with my friend in West Allis where I last released an orphaned e/c in August 2008. She is approaching five years old. Jennifur comes to eat fallen apples, pesticide-free grasses, and granola handouts under his bushes and apple tree. She brings along friends; four cottontails were seen nibbling from the pie tins this past week. Cardinals and squirrels also visit his yard. Amazing, amazing, and both he and I are Overjoyed she has survived with great protection and hiding places since August 2008. She knows his voice, knows the sound of his car, and will periscope to check out "who's in the yard?"

Thank you for doing all that you could for this little bunny! Hope he/she makes it! Give us an update if you can. Glad your mom was willing to step in & help you help the bunny. I'm one of those people that believes as long as there is life there is hope & can't give up.

How are you making out? When I rehabbed my cottontail I made a formula from condensed milk, cairo syrup and eggs if I remember correctly - try searching for the ingredients online, it worked well for me. I want to copy a previous posters sentiment and warn that cat wounds, however minor, can be highly toxic and fatal without medical attention. If you do find any wounds at all, first aid in the form of cleaning with povidone iodine is in order, and certainly carefully selected antibiotics. The wrong antibiotics can readily cause rapid death in rabbits as well.

Anyway, good luck. If there aren't any wounds, the little tike stands a good chance of survival if you read plenty, do your research, keep him / her fed, etc.

Hoping the best for this little bun!! It's very lucky that you decided to take care of it instead of release it, I'm sure you are giving it a much better chance of surviving :)

Back