cat and rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovepets

Reaction score
i am curious to see if anyone kets their cat and rabbit in the same room together (supervised). i have a mini lop and a 7 lb cat. the cat is indoor/outdoor. lately i have been having snickers roam the house and if the cat is in snickers stays in my room with her litter box/water/hay (which is always there when she is out). i have let my cat smell her through the cage and she wants nothing to do with her. today, i had a doorway blocked off with some c&c panels with snickers on one half of the house and the cat on the other side. it picked the cat up and let her smell snickers face to face. she again wanted nothing to do with her and wanted to go outside after. i am glad that she isn't interested in her. snickers likes to hang out in the living room and it is just a pain when the cat wants to come in and then i have to take her back into my room.

does anyone have cats that get along with rabbits?

My rabbits are still very small so I don't let them with my cat yet. When I was a kid I baby sat for a family that had two big dogs 2 indoor outdoor cats and a rabbit. The rabbit didn't even have a cage! It was in the house loose all the time just like a dog or cat. They all got along fine. :)

I have a cat and a rabbit. Jack is an indoor outdoor cat. Oliver is a bigger bunny and he loves that cat, but the cat doesn't really know how to be gentle. He wants to play but gets rough. We never leave them alone together. I worry the cat will swat his eyes and scratch them. They are allowed supervised visits :).

If the cat goes outside i would not permit any interaction. Outdoor cats have a much higher chance of inflicting that "lethal" scratch that you miss when you turn your head for half a second.
Indoor only cats dont typically have this issue. If you read around its much more likely that an outdoor cat will cause the dreaded cat scratch fever.

My son's cat Edgar is an indoor cat and I try to make him stay away from the other critters, but its not always possible. However, he is never alone with the rabbits when he is in the room with them. He likes to chase our old girl, thumper, but thumper is not a fan of this. Today he played "tag" with Black Jack, my mini rex, around a laundry basket. Edgar pounced on him a couple of times but didnt hurt him. We watched closely to be sure of this. I would NOT trust Edgar around any of the "prey animal" pets because I cannot guarentee that an accident won't happen.

My roommate's cats sit on the other side of my baby gate and try to swat at my rabbits through the bars, so I definitely wouldn't trust them together ever. It definitely depends on the cat and the rabbit, but one cat bite can kill a rabbit.

My situation has worked because I have a very gentle, indoor, senior kitty. Sophie, my rabbit is very loving towards her. They get along well due to my cat's gentleness and age but even having said that, I always keep an eye on them when they're together.

i don't plan on actually having them together. but my cat is older (about 10) and she isn't really playful.

We have 2 cats, one is 1,5 year old, the other almost 1. My 4 months old French Lop has been interested in them since the day we got him and he often hops around after them, trying to sniff and lick them! At first the cats would just run off scared, unsure of what he was. But they were always interested in him too and slowly they've been getting used to him. They'll now allow him to investigate up close and our neutered male cat even carefully plays with him sometimes. He never uses his claws though, he's always very good about it. Of course we always supervise, and our bunny Fudge isn't allowed out on his own when we're not around anyway, so it works out really well for us.

We also currently have a litter of four 4-weeks old kittens and Fudge likes to be around them too. They're still too young to really be of any danger (they still fall over while "walking" haha) but of course I'm very cautious as they get older. For now it's a really cute sight though! :D

IMG_2547_small.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back