Cast came off, foot looks awful

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My 5mo old Anabelle broke her front leg and foot a few weeks ago :)grumpy: and still hasn't learned that you CAN'T hop under the humans when they're walking) She's doing absolutely fine says the vet, but got her cast off yesterday and YUCK.
Her skin is all red and REALLY dry and she's been driving herself crazy grooming it(which just makes it look even worse)
When it came off, I asked the vet and she said that it was just dry skin and she'd be fine once her fur grew back in, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help? Or if anyone has been in this situation?
I guess they shaved her leg to set it - how long until the fur grows back? And can I use hand lotion so her skin isn't so dry and cracked?
I was also thinking of wrapping it in some light gauze so she stops bothering with it, or is that something that she's doing to make it better?
Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Liz, I have no idea but just wanted to say Poor Baby.

My Winston LICKS the bottom of his back feet so much that they become raw sometimes. I try to get him to stop but that is completely useless. I guess it's no different then when humans are itchy and we scratch and scratch. I know that for a fact as I have eczema (SP??)

At one time again Winston licked the fur off Vega's head (the poor baby looked terrible) well we brought her to the Vet, thank you very much$200.00+ later, her bright idea was to use Vaseline very sparingly. That was kinda messy she looked like Elvis with slicked back fur (what little she had left).
:shock:
Sorry I wasn't much help.

Susan:)

Overgrooming might make it sore, so that's definitely something to keep an eye on. It's bound to feel weird and taste wrong so a little extra grooming is normal. I think anything you put on is just going to encourage her to groom more.

If you think what she's doing is excessive then a collar for a couple of days might be the best option. I think there on instructions somewhere for a bunny one. You could try the gauze but she'll probably remove it.

Lot's of things to distract her may help a bit too.

Fur regrowth usually depends on moult - sometimes they can stay pretty bald until the next moult when the new batch of fur comes in - they don't have continually growing hair like us which slows things down.

I've found that magnetic clay is an absolute miracle for rabbit skin (and my own eczema). I use it along with hydro therapy. My vet told me that and it works for me. You spray decent pressure water on their skin (I just use the hose sprayer on my kitchen faucet) and it causes it to accelerate the healing. Ideally you would do it 3 times a day. Doing that I've completely cured the bedsores on my rabbit. Before I figured it out she had parts of her skin completely missing.

I use this stuff

Not sure if you need to go to that extreme yet but if you want to heal skin it works and it works fast.

Latest posts

Back