Carrots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
How much would you allow a day? Sometimes I have carrot scraps from peeling them and would like to feed them to Bunster rather than wasting it but I know carrots are high in sugar so I wonder how much is okay to give?

Oops that would be important. She's about 6-7 months old

So probably pretty small- not fully grown... I’d say 1 a day (baby carrots), unless they get no other treats than 2 a day. I know mine gets several a day. She’s a year- maybe 5-7lbs and she LOVES them. She gets at least 3 a day but other than those, one granola and one single berry that’s all her treats for the day.
Just start with one for a bit- as long as poops are still good, then you’ll know it isn’t upsetting their tum.
Mine is also free roam 24/7 so I worry less about the weight gain aspect because I know she gets a ton of exercise.

The general rule of thumb is no more than 1-2 tbsp worth of "treats" per day. So that's about a 1" slice of a normal/large carrot, or one carrot nib. The reason for being cautious over the sugar amount is that a sudden influx of a lot of sugar can upset the bacterial balance in the gut. That balance is quite delicate and sugar can cause a fluorish of growth of certain bacterias. This could lead to GI stasis.

Latest posts

Back