Carrier Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzkitty

Reaction score
My bunny Momo and I have gone through a long process of taming and bonding. When I first got her she was all too ready to bite and bit my mother. Now she's trusting and sweet and loves to be pet. I haven't tried to pick her up but she's getting used to my hands near her backside. I'm taking her to the vet for a nail trim etc. but I have no idea how to get her into the carrier. I've tried to lure her with food but she knows the carrier too well from the foster family. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get her in the carrier without stressing her out or her getting upset with me. I've heard bunnies can hold grudges for a long time.

My best advise is to invest in a top-opening carrier. It is well worth the money. The top door makes it soooo much easier to take the bunny in out.

I took one my shelter bunnies to our adoption event last weekend. Putting him in the front door of the carrier supplied by the shelter was difficult, but getting him out was almost impossible. A top door would have solved all of my problems.

Justa suggestion, I'm no expert. I don't know about rabbits holding a grudge either. :)

Maybe you can pick her up with a towel and put her in the carrier. Or if she can get close enough on her own to the carrier, maybe you can just push(guide) her in the rest of the way.

Good Luck, :biggrin2:April

you're gonna have to get the bun used to being handled a little. Not all rabbits are lap bunnies, but they do need to behave when you need to handle them. Takes time and patience and you have to be persistent. As to carriers, we have ones made by Carnahan Mfg in Oroville CA--530 534 1816. They are top openers, so it's much easier in and out.

Hmmm.. I haven't been successful in picking her up yet. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting her out of the carrier. She's very attached to her home. When she has outside time, she goes back to check on her cage often.

I've tried the pushy thing but she quickly jumps out of the way. Looks like I'm going to have to start trying to get her into the carrier really early :biggrin2:

Nancy McClelland wrote:
you're gonna have to get the bun used to being handled a little. Not all rabbits are lap bunnies, but they do need to behave when you need to handle them. Takes time and patience and you have to be persistent. As to carriers, we have ones made by Carnahan Mfg in Oroville CA--530 534 1816. They are top openers, so it's much easier in and out.
I'm in 100% agreement about handling the rabbits as much as possible. But I'm sure you'll agree that the top openers are the ticket no matter how docile the rabbit is! I think mine is a Petmate.

I got my carriers through KW Cages online. I love them - they are sturdy, built and have a variety of sizes and options... and they open on the top.

Denise

You might try using an apple or orange crate from the grocery store and see if you can get her to go into it. She may be more comfortable as it's not her usual carrier. She may even like the smell of apples.

Just to ask...what do you mean by "she's getting used to my hands near her backside"? Do you mean regular care, or trying to pick her up?

Well I read that they don't like to be pet on their backs. I'm getting her used to my hands there so that I can eventually pick her up without any problems. Or am I being too cautious?

Ohh...okays. :)

You might try petting her on her forehead/muzzle. They love to be pet there, and you'll find she'll probably hunker down (what I call "puddle" or "melter") while you're doing it. Also, some buns like being pet behind the ears. :)

I find that mine love the head to tail pet, too. :)

My baby buns love to be pet down their whole body. :)When I start petting their head, they hunker down. They don't mind having their backs rubbed. :biggrin2:

Is your buns cage large enough that you could fit the carrier inside without it taking up too much room? If so, it would be much easier for her to feel comfortable around the carrier as it would be in her territory. My guess is she might even begin to sleep in it. If that is not an option I would leave it in your room and every time she even smells it reward her with a pat or a treat. She will learn that the carrier = good things. Place toys etc. in the carrier and make it as positive an experience as possible.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back