carrier advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticRex

Reaction score
so as you Canadians know, it gets REALLY cold up here. i need to transport Dante to the pet store soon to get his nails clipped (he has REALLY black nails and i'm not sure how long the quick is and i'm not willing to take a chance cause i dont have any of the stuff to use to stop the bleeding, like flour or anything). it's already got snow here, and boy is it FREEZING!! i walked home and i couldn't even feel my face!!

anyways now my question. the pet-value is right across from my work, which is a 20 minute walk, 15 minutes if I'm fast enough, though the snow is making it hard to walk, so 20 minutes. how would i best be able to get him there in a carrier without him pretty much freezing his ears off? how can i insulate the carrier so that it will hold in heat better plus block out the harsh wind, but he will still be able to breath? all that i have been able to think of is line it with a blanket and block half of the door with a coroplast/blanket combo from the bottom to help block a bit of wind from getting in but let in air for ventilation. unfortunately i don't have a car (yet) and i'm not going to depend on my room mate for a ride when she doesn't have winter tires yet (not to mention the black ice i already slipped on while walking) so yea, how do i get Dante to the store/groomers without him freezing? yes his fur will help, but i don't know if he has the winter coat cause he just finished molting A LOT and plus his room is kept at a warm temp, very opposite of the harshness outside, plus I'm a little iffy on taking that chance....

Just stuff the carrier with hay and you can cover it with a blanket too if you'd like. Bunnies can withstand cold temps, so he should be fine for a 20 min interval with a little insulation.

Maybe you can even get one of those soft, bag-like puppy carriers. Might be a little warmer than a plastic one.

I cut a hole in a top of a towel, the hole is for the carrier handle. I then put the towel over the carrier. For my carriers, a towel is the perfect size. With a 20 minute walk, I would also probably put a piece of plastic or something underneath the towel to help block any wind. I don't think a towel would block too much wind, it would just go through the towel. I would also put lots of hay in the carrier.

There is this heat disk called the "snuggle safe". You microwave it and it emits low heat for hours. You have to be careful though that your bun can get away from the heat if he decides he's warm enough (not sure how big your carrier is).

it's more long then wide. if you take 2 NIC cubes, it's almost that long. just take off 2.5 of the squares on one of the grids and it's about that length. it's about the width of a NIC grid across the center, but it's a little bit narrower towards the bottom. not by much though.

Latest posts

Back