Carley & Harley.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
I hope you will like my blog. It will mostly be all about Harley and his adventures. I will keep it updated with lots of pictures as he grows up.

But first I will introduce you to me and my family. :3

Well this is what I look like. :) I adore animals and I would love to work with them someday. I work part time at an animal hospital (mostly cleaning though).

feb-1.jpg

This is my boyfriend Stephen, we haved lived together for almost two years now. He is my best friend and we get along great. He also loves animals (a must if you are with me!)

boyfriend1-1.jpg

This is one of my best friends... Jynx. She is going to be two this April though I do not want to believe it. She is a great dog, she is smart yet goofy. She is my big baby. This picture was from her first birthday.

brb-1.jpg

I have two snakes, they are cornsnakes. Their names are Skully (red one aka Amel) and Chaos ( dark one aka Okeetee).

snakesbaby.jpg

And my green spotted puffer - Puff Puff.

puffer.jpg

LAST BUT NO LEAST... HARLEY. :3 My male harlequin holland lop. I love this little guy.

harleybaby1.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

harley2-1.jpg

Harley had a rough start to say the least, but lets start with how I got him.

I decided I wanted a bunny when I was working and this broken black mini lop came into my work. (I work at a veterinary hospital). He was the sweetest thing. The poor guy had walking dandruff mites. He licked my fingers and let me pet him over and over. He did not even care when I had to do some skin scraps, he just sat therenice and continued to let me pet him later on.

I could not get bunnies out of my mind since then... I researched and researched and I thought I wanted a lionhead. I tried contacting some breeders they all either lived in Ottawa (way too far) or they would not have any available until May - June.I was getting really discouraged.

I noticed I was always smiling at the lop pictures on this website and then I read about the Holland lop. I was hooked. I read how they are usually full of energy and a lot of them did not mind being pet or cuddled. Plus they are adorable, I personally think these must be the cutest bunnies on the planet.

I spoke to a few breeders, and I was thinking that I wanted to show... But after all I read about showing and me not having a car... I thought it might have been too difficult.

So I spoke to a woman who lived about 2 hours away, long story short she had some young boys for sale. She was recommended by a lot of holland lop breeders in the area who said they would not have anything available for awhile so I asked my mom to drive me. She agreed and we went to meet her.

Her babies were six weeks old, she assured me they were okay to leave their mother at this point. I got to choose between 3 boys. A harlequin, a chocolate (I think, he was all brown) and then a fuzzy was in a different litter of hollands and he sneaked in. I choose Harley, he was adorable with his harlequin pattern. My boyfriend really liked his pattern too.

Once we left Stephen (my boyfriend) said lets name him Harley! I gave him a weird look since it is only one letter off my name... But he was so proud of himself for picking it. He said it was because he had a Harlequin pattern. He even told me he did not want to say it in front of the breeder incase she steals it... LOL. So I let him name him Harley, I have always named all the animals so I guess he could name one. haha. Plus it is pretty cute.

Harley when he got home and checking out his new place. :3

harley-1.jpg

Thanks you. :)
I find them quite cute myself too. :3

----

So to move along in our story... Harley was great his first two days. He was my little poop machine, he loved to eat his food, loved exploring and adored peeing on his Daddy haha!

I was already getting so attached to this guy. He loved being cuddled and he even kissed me a few times already. I thought to myself that bonding was going to be easy with this little guy.

Then on Tuesday... My heart sunk.
Diarrhea... Everywhere.

Both my breeder and info on here said... Diarrhea would kill him. My breeder even said that bunnies that got diarrhea would be dead by morning.

I cried... I cried hard.
Stephen kept saying that he would be okay, and not to worry.

I am really glad I took him to the vet or I might not have my little guy today.
We rushed him to the vet, stinky and all.
(I did not take any pictures, do not worry!)

We were at the vets for over 2 hours, and it cost us more then 200 dollars. He got fluid therapy (solid water shots), critcal care, a wellness check up and weighed. I believe it was 420 grams he weighed. We were also told to get him some pedilyte (baby gaterade is what I like to call it haha)

My vet said he was dehydrated and underweight. I was so worried that I was going to lose my little guy.

I made a thread on RO (as you know) and you guys helped me out a lot. With your advice and sweet words (thank you again! Big thanks to Tinysmom for talking to me on the phone as well.)

He really enjoyed his critical care and I fed him every 2 - 3 hours during the day.

Every morning I would ask Stephen to check on Harley... I did not want to find my little guy dead. BUT... He was awake each and every time! I was thrilled when he survived his first night.

Then he would not poop... The vets where I worked wanted me to bring him in for a thousand tests... I could not afford if after the 200 dollar bill the day before (not to mention I had just bought him, cage, food, ect... a few days earlier! I thought I was going to lose the guy and it would be my fault for not having the money...)

Then I got some advice. I did this.. and viola! Poop EVERYWHERE.
I never thought I would cry over poop... But I did. I was so happy and relieved. :3

Who knows if it was the advice given, or if it was just his time to finally poop. I really appreciate your suggest by the way. (Removing what it was from my blog since there is some debate that it could do more harm then good sometimes, no offence!)

My poop machine is back to normal now. :3 and pooping like a man man. He is also quite the binky machine! I love this little guy so much, he is my big baby and I am glad to still have him in my life.

By the way, he is still happily peeing on his Daddy haha!

DSC02702.jpg

Here is Harley thanking the members of RO for helping save his life. :3

I love the harlequin pattern and used to breed harlequin colored lionheads.

Here are a couple pics of Miss Bea...my main harlequin herd doe.

Miss_Bea_in_Irish_Grass_by_lolbunni.jpg

b7d956d1-1.jpg

Personally, I think the harlequin pattern gets prettier as they get older...

She is really gorgeous.

I was thinking his pattern would dull down after molt, I am excited to see what he looks like when he is older then.

Thank you!

Tomorrow I am taking a trip to petsmart.
Going to get Harley a new toy or two... :3

I'll probably bring Jynx since I feel Harley might be too young to come with me (any opinions on this?) I would like to socialize him in other places eventually though.

He's been out for a few hours tonight and he loves to binky.

I was also holding him earlier and petting him... I could 'feel' him purring then he fell asleep. So cute!

:3 Love my Harley.

[align=center]Aww, I love your blog, Harley is so cute. I'm glad he is okay! Looking forward to more pictures and updates! =)

Thank you :3

---
So Me and Stephen were at two different pet stores today, LOL.First we went to petsmart, and then we went to PJs at the mall.

We got two new toys for Harley, a proper kitty litter box and proper house (not the cardboard temporary ones I had made).

Didn't bring Jynx or Harley to petsmart, we thought it would be quicker if we just went ourselves. I would like to bring Harley in the future though.

There was a HUGE great dane at petsmart... I have seen a lot of great danes... Never have I seen one this big, it looked like a giant cow.

Anyways here are some pictures of Harley's new things. :3

DSC02725.jpg

Rabbit/carrot chewy thing and a grass ball with a bell inside.

DSC02727.jpg

Everything he got today.

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

Checking out the new toy, so far he doesn't seem very interested in them. :p

I didn't tell you about the ferret at PJs today...

My family used to own ferrets, they were mine but I was young and my mom bought everything for them so technically they were the family's ferrets... Anyways, not the point.

So I had Slinky and Meeca. Slinky was awesome, he was friendly, he loved to cuddle and get kisses. He was just overall awesome. He bit me once on our first day together (realized it hurt me) and he never did it again.

Meeca was different... She liked to nip a lot, she bit everyone until they got used to them. I got a few nasty bites off this girl...

But the ferret today... I swear... He was evil. I got... Attacked. No joke, attacked.

Stephen was petting him and I went over and let him smell me, all of a sudden he lunged. He grabbed my fingers between his teeth and was pretty much trying to kill me. There was blood everywhere. It went on for over a minute because we couldn't get him off me.

I tried getting him off with my other hand, and he switched to this hand... Now there is blood everywhere on THIS hand. My boyfriend was trying to get his mouth of me while the pet store employees yelled for more people (yes, there was an audience... Yes, it was embarassing!)

Broken skin all over my fingers now, and 'battle wounds' the people at the pet store just looked at me like ".... uh...you're bleeding everywhere... are you okay?"

I said "yep, owned ferrets before..."
As soon as I was out of sight, I cried a bit to be honest.

I was bleeding everywhere (all over my hands/arms). Even when I got bit by a rottie when I was a kid it wasn't this bad (he at least didn't break skin! haha)

I was in shock, and it really bothered me how much damaged this ferret did and I never knew they could bite like that even after owning a ferret we thought had a mean streak.

My boyfriend really likes ferrets and he wants one in the future... But I'm worried now. I know I had awesome ferrets in the past... But man did it hurt (still does a little)... I think I'll get over it, I mean I like rotties now.

I know I shouldn't think that ferrets in general are mean. But I won't be touching ferrets any time soon.

If you look at my index finger on that last pictures (more on the last one)... You can see some of my battle wounds (not much but you can see the broken/red skin a bit). Haha.

[align=center]Owww! I can see it and that looks painful!

Ferrets seem cool (but scary now lol) but I never wanted one and now I don't want one even more! XD

I used to LOVE ferrets, they're tons of fun (when friendly! LOL) They also cluck, and jump sideways, plus like to steal your things which is entertaining.

Just... This one.
This one was just plain evil!

I know Stephen really wants one in the future, just it better be friendly and never bite me!

I'm kind of nervous that someone is going to bring one into the vet office I work and it's going to attack me again. ):

I just need to get over it, I think I'm just shocked how much it made me bleed. My whole hand was throbbing for about two hours after too.

[align=center]Yeah, they're super cute! I've pet some, and my aunt used to have some, I remember holding one.

Yeah, I see that... lol hopefully you'll find one that's really nice =) I hope that they don't bring in an evil ferret =(

Yeah, that's how I was when I was going to get my first rabbits. The first one I was gunna get (a probably 8 lb standard rex) lunged at me and it scared the CRAP outta me! And then the 3rd one I was gunna get (tortoiseshell-colored mini-lop) nipped me REALLY hard! So I was pretty freaked out, but I got over it XD =) Took me a little while- cause I was really nervous with buns at first after that. XP

Good thing you got over it with buns, or you wouldn't have your adorable rabbits. :3

I can't imagine Harley lunging at me. haha, I would just be like "what are you doing Harley, you're so small you fit into my hand!"

---

Going to see that new movie Battle: Los Angeles today.
I love movies that have aliens or diseases taking over human kind. I'm so strange.

Probably get Wendies too. :p

Harley got another new toy today :p
It's a dog toy (shhh don't tell him) but anyways it's a bunny. Kinda realistic looking... Kinda.

He didn't seem to care too much, he sniffed it and I was trying to make it jump like him - I don't think he was impressed haha.

That Battle: Los Angeles movie was really awesome. I loved it. It was full of action/suspense and I cried in it (I cry a lot if you haven't noticed!) haha.

Tried to introduce Harley to my other pets... They seem dangerously interested in him, which sucks because I would love to be able to take him into the living room.

I just realized I never introduced you to my cat... whoops.
Well, I have a tortoise shell cat. Her name is Duckie.

She's not much of a cuddle cat and she really only pays attention to us when she's hungry or in the kitchen. Sometimes she'll come sit on you - but not for long.

She hangs out mostly in the kitchen and will meow at you when you when you come in until you pet her a bit or fill up her bowl.

She eats a ton but she's not huge. She's kinda... chubby/flabby it's weird. She looks as if she was a cat that had kittens, but I have had her since she was 8 weeks and she's never even seen a male cat since she's been with us. :p

Anyways, here is her picture. I think she's gorgeous, some people think she's weird looking.
DSC02598-3-1.jpg

Thank you. :) He's doing great now.

My hands are... Still sore when they touch anything, but they should heal up soon. Thanks again.

[align=center]Sounds like a good movie! =O I went and saw Beastly today. That was SOOOOO good. I went and bought the book as well =D

Cute cat! <3 I love tortoiseshell cats =)

Latest posts

Back