Caring for an Injured Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumy91989

Reaction score
We just adopted (by that I mean bought from a nasty store) a bunny who had been violently picked on by the other rabbits in the cage with him. While I have plenty of issues with purchasing an animal from a store that allows these things to happen without any attempt at intervention, we could not leave him behind when we saw the state he was in.

Most of the injuries seem largely superficial--cuts on the back and face, mostly. A good half of his ear is missing, though, and there's a deep cut just above his nose. Both of these look mildly infected. We have a vet appointment for Friday but I'd like to know what we can do in the meantime to care for him and get the healing process going. We're keeping him away from our two rabbits and our cats until he's as healed as possible and settled in, but we don't know much about what else to do. Obviously his wounds need to be cleaned, and I read that neosporin is a good remedy for cuts on rabbits--is this true? Also, what is the best agent to use to clean the wounds? And is there anything I can put on the deeper cut on the face? I don't want to put neosporin on it because I know that can just trap bad bacteria in.

Also I am aware that, as he's injured and depressed with signs of infection on his ear and nose that he might not make it, but I'd like to do my best to turn things around for him.

Thank you!

I safely use the regular Neosporin on rabbits (not the kind with pain relievers and things mixed in) and it clears up small injuries quickly. With a deep cut, I would rinse with warm water and mild soap, then put Neosporin on.

You could probably treat the injuries you described at home. With this treatment, the bunny could be mostly cleared up by Friday. Neosporin works quickly.

Are you able to post photos of the cuts youre worried most about?

I would wash them with warm water and an antibacterial soap like hibitane. Rinse out soapy residu and pat dry. let it dry out a bit before applying neosporin. For larger wounds if it bleeds or weeps again after cleaninh the neosporin will trap that in. I find itll heal better if you dab it with dry gauze for a few mins or so until its not ad weepy before adding the ointment.

Thank you all for your advice! It's only been two days and he's already so improved it's unbelievable! The cuts on his back have now all scabbed over and are healing nicely and the gash on his face and cut where his ear was torn off are no longer red and swollen and look like very tidy little healing wounds. The vet will do a full work-up tomorrow to make sure there is nothing else that needs to be addressed, but I'm starting to feel very hopeful. :)

I'm glad that you saved him! That pet store should be reported to the humane society.

Latest posts

Back