Caring for an English Angora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hubby has given the OK for me to get another rabbit. I am looking for a laid back breed that enjoys people. My husband has forbid me from getting another Flemish Giant since I lost two in a row with the most recent in January (mouth abscess).

I had almost 100% decided on a Jersey Wooly but the English Angora keeps popping back in my head. I ruled it out because of the coat care and the potential for wool block but it just seems like the right rabbit for me.

For those who have Jersey Woolies or English Angoras - how much time do you spend on a single rabbit with coat care? If you are good with the care is wool block an issue? I like the idea of a rabbit with a coat that requires grooming, lots of one-on-one time for bonding. BUT I am afraid that they could get wool block, I don't want to loose another bunny.

I currently have a 5 year old Californian who is totally hands off. He takes treats and hops around but NO touching. I do groom him when he blows his coat but he acts like he is dying! Silly bunny.

I'm just kicking some ideas around in my head. I plan on getting the rabbit in May at the Ohio Mini Convention.

I have both a Jersey Wooly and an English Angora. The angora is definitely more work, but it does go in cycles. After a sheering, she is good for about 6 weeks before needing serious work (just some face and feet brushing mostly). When she is in more of a full coat, it is more work to keep the wool from matting. You can keep them trimmed shorter, but that does mean the wool can't really be used for much and you can't show them if the wool is under 2". Each rabbit is a bit different, some need a lot more work to stay in good condition that others. It can also be hard to find someone who will sell one to someone without much angora experience.
Jersey Woolies seem fairly easy to care for. I don't need to brush mine all the often and he doesn't get matted. They don't seem to moult much, so the wool isn't loose which is what causes problems.

If you do get an angora, you need to find someone who can help with sheering or have the tools to do it yourself. Dog clippers are needed and can run $150+. Most dog groomers know nothing about rabbits. Vet can be expensive to get it done as well. Scissors can be used, but I do prefer clippers for the sensitive areas like around the neck, belly, and legs, as well as any matted areas. A blower is also really helpful, you can blow a rabbit in maybe 10-15 minutes, where brushing could take 2-3 times that. Jersey Woolies don't need to be sheered unless they are matted, so not as much of an issue with them.

I have a Jersey wooly/angora (Groucho) and a lionhead/angora (Bugsy). Busy is definitely more work. His coat grows super fast and mats easily (probably from Groucho's constant grooming). Groucho has shorter fur. He is more skittish, so I can only groom him in short bursts, but that is generally enough. My vet charges $65 for a full shear.

I think I may have an angora but am unsure. Hes my avatar. I was told lion head but his whole body is fluffy, where as my other lion head has a skirt and a mane. Should I be cutting his fur?

I would not recommend an angora as a pet unless you intend to use the fiber for something. When angoras are in full show coat, they require grooming several times a week (I've heard as often as daily). However, some people do have them as pets and just keep the coat clipped down.

Jersey Woolies have much shorter, hairlike easy-care coats. They require light grooming during molts but otherwise stay virtually mat-free. They also generally have great temperaments and are smaller, so a bit more conducive to indoor living.

@Leopold_Ruby - Your rabbit appears to be a Lionhead mix. Not every Lionhead has the same wool pattern. Some have wool all over their bodies, others are split into one or two manes.

Latest posts

Back