Careful when using Carefresh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley72

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently switched my rabbits litter over to Carefresh (as I noticed my petstore started to ween out wood shavings from their stock) My one rabbit ate some, and became compacted and went into GI-Stasis. He stopped eating and pooping altogether. He is doing well now, and is starting to eat and poop normally again. Just wanted to warn others, in hopes this happens to no one else! Not sure if its ever happened to anyone else using Carefresh, but just a heads up in case.

carefresh expands a bit when wet so that's probably why it caused impaction so quickly and yes this has happened with many other animals. they should have a warning on it not to use it on any animal that may eat it. it is also very dusty and can cause upper respiratory problems not to mention it can be very messy.

I e-mailed the company about it, as I really don't think it should be intended for rabbits. Should be interesting to see what/if they reply. I'm so relieved my Thumper is ok now though!

good for you for emailing them and bringing it to their attention. if you went to the vet i'd scan a copy and send that to them too to prove that's what caused it.

you're exactly right...the most important thing is that he's okay. glad you were on top of it :)

Latest posts

Back