Cardboard houses?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
Last year I bought Cheeto this cardboard house for Christmas. It's getting old, the top layer has snapped, and it is very chewed on. I'm wondering if anybody here has gotten similar things that are for "larger" rabbits. Cheeto is 6lbs and the top level of this one barely held him, until it didn't. Now Millie loves climbing on things and I'd like to get a new one for them. Another issue is that this one is nearly $15.00 (US) PLUS another $13.00 for shipping in my area. I paid that last time, and can't believe I did. I guess I'm a little more budget conscious now that I'm on my own ;).

Any suggestions?

I saw that one site has the cottages with lower shipping costs because they're shipped flat, not put together. I'm pretty sure it was binkybunny.com, though they seem to be out of stock right now.

Those cardboard castles are adorable. I guess I'm just too cheap. I just recycle boxes, cut holes for doors and windows and let them have at it.

The box that my 50lb bag of oxbow pellets came in was an extremely thick and sturdy box. They've been playing with that.

I've ordered my spoiled bunnies SO much stuff (mostly due to petco's massive sales) that I've got oodles of boxes around so I just cut holes in those for them.

We got Nibbles one of those Cottontail Cottages and he LOVES it! We got it at binkybunny.com. It's about $19 and after shipping, the whole thing comes to about $30. Nibbles isn't quite as heavy as your bun (he's around 4.5 lbs), but the whole structure is VERY solid. I would think it would hold a 6 lb bunny quite easily. There are a lot of user comments on the site, so check those out and see if someone mentioned weights.

It is sold out at the moment, but they tend to restock pretty quickly. Just do the pre-order option and they'll let you know when it's ready to go.

I'm a cheap too. I save up the boxes we get and then arrange them inside of an extremely large box--once I get the layout, I take them out and cut passage ways and then re-assemble them so that my bunnies have a two story maze with access to the roof. I saw pics of the cardboard ones and said, "I can do that too". Some times our dining room looks like a box warehouse.

What I do is pre fit everything so that they stay in place and then cut holes thru from one to the other and then do a second layer with a hole thru the top of one and the bottom of the upper box, then make passage ways thru the second layer with an exit to the lower layer at the other end. I had a tall, 3 story one with a small hole for the littlest bunnies to get on top--Bambi is 4 pounds and Nikki is 3 1/2. I was shocked to come home and find Serena on top one day. She's our gigantic Checkered Giant--19 pounds. I would really have liked to seen her squeezing her way into the 3rd lay and then out the hole on top. She's a very active one for such a big bunny!

Nancy McClelland wrote:
What I do is pre fit everything so that they stay in place and then cut holes thru from one to the other and then do a second layer with a hole thru the top of one and the bottom of the upper box, then make passage ways thru the second layer with an exit to the lower layer at the other end. I had a tall, 3 story one with a small hole for the littlest bunnies to get on top--Bambi is 4 pounds and Nikki is 3 1/2. I was shocked to come home and find Serena on top one day. She's our gigantic Checkered Giant--19 pounds. I would really have liked to seen her squeezing her way into the 3rd lay and then out the hole on top. She's a very active one for such a big bunny!
Do you have any photos of your castles?

Thanks everybody! This is exactly what I was hoping for--I'll be sure to work on my own "castle." Of course, they have boxes to play with, but I bought the expensive one for the levels. This way, I can use the ones they already have.

Plus, $30 for a cardboard box is a little ridiculous, right?

haha, maybe a bit :blushan:

We tried the tape-old-cardboard-boxes-together-into-a-castle thing, too, and I found it got really gross really fast. Hair stuck to the tape and it just ended up kinda ratty. Nibbles' cottontail cottage was purchased in mid-August and it's now the end of October and it's showing no signs of wearing out any time soon. He's chewed on it a bit, but nothing that's causing structural damage. Hair is easy to clean out with a lint roller or damp paper towel. I'm happy with it. It was his birthday present, so I had to splurge!!

mdith4him wrote:
haha, maybe a bit :blushan:

We tried the tape-old-cardboard-boxes-together-into-a-castle thing, too, and I found it got really gross really fast. Hair stuck to the tape and it just ended up kinda ratty. Nibbles' cottontail cottage was purchased in mid-August and it's now the end of October and it's showing no signs of wearing out any time soon. He's chewed on it a bit, but nothing that's causing structural damage. Hair is easy to clean out with a lint roller or damp paper towel. I'm happy with it. It was his birthday present, so I had to splurge!!
Well of course! Remember, I did the same thing, but mine was MORE $. So I understand. Mine didn't hold up as well as yours (I have cardboard-aggressive bunnies!) so I'm just looking for an alternative. I was thinking maybe zip ties and tiny holes? We'll see.

I'd love to get my bunnies the Cottontail Cottage, but I can't justify spending $30 + shipping on a "decorated" box. Although, if I had some sort of large hidden money pool, I sure would... ;-)

We have around 100 boxes in our house right now waiting to be the next incarnation. With this may, I can fit them without having to use tape into one really big box and start the process--everything is fitted, not taped. Then we get rid of what we don't need as the "new castle" will last for 3 to 4 months. By that time I have another big box and a bunch of small ones, so, I can repeat. Never have taken any pics, but, I will now.

Latest posts

Back