Cardboard boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
My Kirby loves to chew on paper and paper products like the cardboard pieces/boxes. He will tear into the sides and corners within hours. Eventually he'll start to tear out the individual layers of the cardboard and eat them up sliver by sliver. The cardboard pieces I give him are pretty clean (not dusty or anything) and it isn't the kind of box that has shiny/glossy print on the outside. But he's eating so much of it that I'm not sure if it's harmful or not. He eats his greens, pellets and hay as well. He just likes so much cardboard too...is it ok?

Mine do exactly the same with boxes andI would say that as long he is pooping OK it is OK

I also once had this concern but it was with my rabbit with mega-colon who went into stasis for? reasons.

Haha, I hardly ever give my bunnies cardboard boxes, because all they do is ruin them, and tear them up in the first day they get them! And I give it to them so they can go inside and play with it.

I would watch so that they don't comsume too much of it. Small amounts "won't harm" the gut. But, also, you don't want it to become a habit that is "ok" to them to where they could potentiallyfall intostasis.;)

Mine also dessimate boxes, and they love them. They don't get them that often (and NEVER overnight because man is that loud!) but I've never had a stasis problem. I would just suggest always watching and being vigilant and don't let them eat loads.

Mine only get cardboard when they are out playing. It's funny cause they chew all of it except the big craisen display box that is their "hideout".

Is he actually eating the card board and paper or just tearing it off and dropping it? My buns seem to tear and drop a lot, which leaves a bigger mess. At one point I was concerned my bun hadsomething wrong stomach wise and I thought it was because the last few days she had eaten so much paper. My vet told me it is possible they could eat enough to cause a blockage. So I do try to limit what they get and watch what they actually eat.

I know that my vet gives their vet office rabbit (they take a few animals that owners want to get rid of to try and find new homes for them, as well as some strays that are brought in but the people can't keep) loves to tear apart cardboard boxes. My Winson also shreds the boxes but he doesn't seem to eat the cardboard he just tears it into little pieces and on the ground they go for me to clean up lol.

If your bun still passes normal fecals, despite ingesting cardboard, I think that you're okay. But I'd keep a close eye on how much he consumes--and how quickly.

My instinct is to keep cardboard away from all bunnies whenever they're not being supervised (e.g., when locked in a cage or x-pen, while the owner is out of the home).

I've banned boxes for my three bunners, sincetwo of the three have chronic digestive issues. So to err on the side of caution, I don't let them have cardboard (or access to newspaper, phone books, etc.). All three of them have proven that they eat, rather than simply tear, such items. :( (My megacolon bun will sneak a nip of the wall's corner or a painted baseboard,if given the chance! :shock:)

Jenk

Berry-Boo always has her cardboard box in her cage. During the day is when she tries to destroy it. She normally doesn't disassemble them, though. She loves to tunnel in and out of empty 12-pack soda boxes. She occasionally nibbles on the edges, but she doesn't devour them. She hasn't had any stomach problems. She's more of a fabric ripper/demolisher.

kherrmann3 wrote:
(Berry-Boo's)...more of a fabric ripper/demolisher.
It's so funny how bunnies can express the same innate drives so differently.

Zoeingestshome construction materials butis trustworthy with her blanket (secured to her x-pen wall, inside of which she sleeps,like it's a two-sided tent). Emma's fairly good with having a towel secured to her x-pen wall, too. Still, they don't have access to fabric overnight--just in case....

Toby gnaws cardboard boxes, not a massive amount and a fair bit of it does end up on the ground, but I'm sure he's eating a reasonable amount of cardboard. He's very spritely and happy, and has never had any digestive issues.

I've read that rabbits' teeth and chewing action mechanically chops the food they're nibbling on into very specific lengths and sizes which pass easily through the digestive system, hay, cardboard, whatever they are munching on - so it makes sense that something easily choppable and crushable like cardboard wouldn't be a problem in the digestive tract so long as they're eating all the right amounts of other foods.

Back