Car Ride?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aah, I didn't finish! So what would you reccomend doing with a bunny on a four hour car ride?

Hard sided carrier is the safest way to travel with a rabbit. Put a towel or fleece on the bottom and hay in the back. You can get dishes that hook onto the door (bird coop cups work well) for water. Seat belt the carrier into the back seat, ideally facing sideways. Keep it out of the sun and keep the car cooler.

You can stop every couple hours if you want, some rabbits are more apt to eat and drink if the car isn't moving.

:yeahthat:

And

The smaller the carrier the better, the less space between the rabbit and the wall is best because if you suddenly have to break the rabbit doesn't travel too far and the impact is less.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401474617.006800.jpg

As you can see behind me and my brother, I brought the buns home in clear plastic bins. They are pretty snug and filled with hay, so they couldn't get bumped on the sides. It worked pretty well.

View attachment 10380

As you can see behind me and my brother, I brought the buns home in clear plastic bins. They are pretty snug and filled with hay, so they couldn't get bumped on the sides. It worked pretty well.

And I like how you guys took the buns out so they would be calm and
happy being touched and petted during the ride. I've taken mine on 8 hour plus trips when I had to go to South Carolina and could not find anyone to watch them. They slept most of the way and I fed them watermelon during the trip which my guys loved as a distraction. I never took them out because I felt like if they were too stressed they might hurt themselves, but this bunny looks quite at HOME! :)

Vanessa

:yeahthat:

And

The smaller the carrier the better, the less space between the rabbit and the wall is best because if you suddenly have to break the rabbit doesn't travel too far and the impact is less.

I don't know. Mine are freaked out when they have too little space in carriers. I go a bit bigger, put blankets and toys in and put them on the floor and make certain they are pretty secure. I understand your theory and yes I think for most rabbits it's good, but mine hate small spaces. They would just die in a very small carrier without space to turn around.

Vanessa

I don't know. Mine are freaked out when they have too little space in carriers. I go a bit bigger, put blankets and toys in and put them on the floor and make certain they are pretty secure. I understand your theory and yes I think for most rabbits it's good, but mine hate small spaces. They would just die in a very small carrier without space to turn around.

Vanessa

It depends on the rabbit of course, but in my case big enough for them to turn around and such, but not TOO big is the best bet. There's terrible traffic here sometimes and I've had to on more than one occasion stop suddenly and I trust that with them, they at least don't seem to freak out as long as I sing to them in the ride, or there's music playing xD Weirdo bun buns

I use a carrier similar to this: http://www.petco.com/product/2615/The-Original-Sherpa.aspx
The floor is a removable fleece. I also keep this open and in the living room and put craisins in it from time to time, and Jez goes in and out and sometimes sleeps/relaxes in it. I think it seems like a burrow to him. He's 4 pounds.
Jez doesn't really care for the car rides, but he has a lot more freedom on the weekends at the summer home, so he tolerates it. He's only ever three or four times stretched out completely relaxed while in the car.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401613202.632827.jpgthis is what Shida and Bailey ride in when going in the car and I strap it in with the seatbelt on the front seat cause there isn't much air that gets to the back seat and I can adjust vents and cover them if the sun comes through the window on that side all while I am driving.

Latest posts

Back