car ride vs flying vs home $:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadoww

Reaction score
hello!! :)

My family and I bought a house which an 18 hour drive, or hour and a half flight from here. My mom, 3 dogs and I are driving up this upcoming Tuesday, but then my dad is flying there to meet us on August 8th. Do you advise either of these for my rabbit? I would bring him on the car ride, because I am kind of nervous with his ears and flying, but the problem is my dogs. He is extremely scared of them, and I am afraid this will be too stressful for him. If I don't bring him though, then my neighbour could come in and feed him everyday, but he will not get much attention, and Shadow gets extremely sensitive when I leave for a short while, let alone a month, but I'm thinking this is the safest thing to do :?
What do you think my best bet is? I know none of them are convenient for him, and everything will be stressful, but what would you do? $:

thankyou very much!! :bunny16

When I'm doing a show weekend, my rabbits spend the whole time in their carriers, except when they're out for grooming or on the show table. They do just fine, even for two whole days. I usually have to drive about 6 hours to get to any shows, so that's 12 hours in the car, with a long break in the middle. If your rabbit does okay on a harness/leash, you could let him out for a little while you make rest stops.

Is there a way you could keep the dogs and the rabbit separate in the car (keep the dogs confined to the back of the car, the rabbit in a carrier next to you at the front?

Rabbits CAN fly (many breeders do ship them by plane), but it's very expensive, and there's lots of rules about the types of carriers they can have. Also, if it's too hot (over about 90), you don't want them going in the luggage compartment with the other pets (and there MAY be other pets there that he knows less well than your dogs).

I think driving would be better. Flying is stressful and would be better if he can be in the cabin (not all airlines allow pets or rabbits in the cabin). You also need to make sure you book him on when the ticket is booked. Flying is also expensive, it can be $50-200 one way.
Driving can also be stressful, but you do have more control over the whole thing. You can stop to check on him and make sure he has food and water. If something does happen, you can deal with it right away rather than finding out at the end of the flight or being stuck in the air and unable to do much.

In the car, you can make it so that he is not near the dogs. You might sit in the back and put him in the front seat or put him in the back (as long as it is an open trunk) with the dogs in the back seat. A solid barrier between him and the dogs can also help. He should be in a hard sided carrier for safety. You will also need to bring a pen or something to keep him in at night as well as supplies like blankets and something to protect the floor of a hotel (like a tarp). You can make it work, it just may take a bit of time to get everything organized in a way that makes everyone comfortable.

We've taken Gus on trip that had a 10 hour drive each way. He did just fine.

Get your bun a plastic cat carrier (or similar), with a soft material on the bottom (like a fleece blanket or towel) so he doesn't slide around. Make sure it's secured in the car, either on the floor, buckled into a seat, or in the back of a van or SUV. Makesure it doesn't sit in direct sun or directly in front of an air vent either.

Scheduleregular stops so he can get out and get a drink (I'm sure you'll need to with your dogs anyway). Don't worry too much if he doesn't eat (though you can offer food on your stops), but definitely make sure he has access to water!

I think if he's in his carrier, he won't mind the dogs toomuch. Rabbits are smart and can figure out when they're safe. ;)

You could also takehim on a few short car rides ahead of time to help get him ready for the trip. (Especially if he's rarely been in a car before!)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend looking into a vetbed for the bottom of the carrier. It's soft for your rabbit to sit on, but liquid goes through it and keeps the top dry. :)

Latest posts

Back