Cappy's Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apexo

Reaction score
After trying the Breed Finder on here and thinking we had the right breed we've decided to ask again because of a few reasons -

1. Our Vet thinks that he is a Dwarf Lop
2. A few people have mentioned he might be Silver Fox(?)
3. I'm curious
4. I want to make sure I know his breed in case there is any specific health related issues (doubt it but just to make sure :))

Picture attached - he's about 7 months now, freshly neutered/vaccinated and currently weighs 1.7kgs. Another thing I'd like to know is approximately how big he will get or if he's even a Dwarf (which I kind of doubt but I don't know enough to say for sure). He's lost a bit of weight after his recent neutering so feeding him extra but he doesn't seem to want it. Any advice on getting him to eat more?

:imstupid

2lvw9k.jpg

black otter (colour)
Looks like a dwarf mix.

1.7 kgs would be about 3.5ish pounds so that puts him in the small rabbit/dwarf rabbit category.

At seven months is probably at mature size.

black otter (colour)
Looks like a dwarf mix.

1.7 kgs would be about 3.5ish pounds so that puts him in the small rabbit/dwarf rabbit category.

At seven months is probably at mature size.

Just shows what I know haha thanks for the info :D

He has become so loving after his neutering he's a real cuddle bun now, glad he won't get much bigger as he makes my arms ache carrying him around already lol

His color is definitely Black Otter or Otter for short and he is most certainly NOT a silver fox.

Hoping that I've learned something from previous colour threads :p in that I believe it's the tan colouring around the edges of his ears, chin, sides etc that make him black otter. Silver Fox colour (from what I'm seeing on google) should be just straight black and silvery-white with no hint of that tan colour at all :)

Also someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox is a breed of which Silver Fox is a colour? But Silver Fox colour can also be found in other breeds, yes?

Last edited:
If he has an orangish patch behind his ears on his neck he'd be a Black Otter for sure; however I don't see any evidence of that in the pic. The head and ears are wrong to be any kind of lop also. You need to check the library here on colors or post a couple more shots but I'm leaning more toward Silver as he does have the lighter ticking in his coat and no evidence of the orange coloring of a Black Otter. If you go to the rainbow bridge and look for our boy Stew, I do have a couple pics of him posted and he definitely was a Black Otter.

This is a picture from the other day (he no longer has the cone as he looked too unhappy so I couldn't bear it) you can just see a patch I think :) got a better picture but I can't find it at the minute :)

I was surprised when someone said he was a dwarf, it hadn't really occurred to me that he was the smallest of the lot we chose from (thinking back the one we almost went for was about 3x or more his size)

I couldn't imagine life without him now he's with us, we're having to move soon (we didn't know this before we got him) and I explicitly said to the estate agent that I wasn't moving at all unless he found us a place where we could keep Cappy with us or at the very very least in the laundry room or something lol I'm refusing to set one foot out of the door until we've sorted it, we have til about mid-August I'd say until my father in law sells the current house we're in and I'd love nothing more than to start the new chapter of our life with my little Cappybutt

(Sorry got a bit carried away haha it just upsets me that my father in law can be so harsh when he knows we need more time for a lot of reasons including Cappy but that's life I guess!)

Thanks for everyone's input, you're all so helpful here :)

1395726166300.jpg

Latest posts

Back