Can't tell apart my 2 does!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
They are a mother and a daughter. I used to tell them apart as the daughter was smaller in size and she had a "baby" expression on her face. Not anymore! They are identical color, almost the same size (very little difference if any). It is still useful to be able to tall apart your bunnies, right? I will need to fix the mom first, daughter can wait longer.
The only difference I could think of - the daughter eats anything, while the mom is more picky. Daughter is the only rabbit here who eats raspberries, but this could change!
Has anyone have a similar problem? What did you do?

Personality can be a big one. It is also easier if they are not kept together. Most rabbits will vary slightly in looks, so you could try to find something that one had but the other does not.

Since they are going to be spayed, ask if the vet will tattoo them. This at least gives you something that you can definitely tell them apart. Try to ask if the tattoos can be fairly different so it is easier to remember who is who (write it down anyway). A sharpie can be a more temporary solution as well, it would need to be re done if it fades. Breeders do use this at some of the larger shows.

You could also shave a small area on one of them. It would have to be redone often as the fur will grow back. It doesn't have to be a big area, just enough that you can look and tell which one it is.

I do have 2 rabbits that look pretty much the same. The do have separate cages, so are not out together. They have different personalities, so I can tell who is who. It can be a bit tricky to tell them apart in photos though.

You can tattoo them. :)
sounds really scary...
I am not a big fan of doing what is not natural for them, but thanks anyway.
Mom used to have much larger dewlap, but not anymore.
Yes, behavior is a bit different, but if they are just sitting next to each other, there is not much of expressing behavior. Raspberry test is always good :)

Personality can be a big one. It is also easier if they are not kept together. Most rabbits will vary slightly in looks, so you could try to find something that one had but the other does not.
I will stick with this advise and try to find some difference in look that will help me. But they will remain all together.
Thank you!

Tattooing actually really isn't a bad thing. I am sure OakRidge meant the ear. This is a great idea in general, and it's usually done while they're out during spaying (I believe).

Latest posts

Back