Can't pick up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aung

Reaction score
I bought two rabbits at the age of two weeks,eight months ago_One died and the other survived.Now my rabbit is eight months old.My rabbit doesn't want me to pick it up.When I pick it up it runs away.Please help.:bow

Last edited:
Well they are prey animals.... Its totally understandable that it doesn't want to be picked up. Are you trying to pick it up for a reason? If its for nails or putting them back in the cage then you can towel them or bribe them back to the cage. otherwise forcing affection on a rabbit that doesn't want it doesn't help too much.

At 8 months of age he is likely also hormonal. Some rabbits can become more grumpy when hormonal and that could include the spraying of urine. If he does this, you may want to consider having him neutered. Neutered rabbits also litter train much more consistently.

I would encourage you to browse around the stickied threads of the various topics on the forum. They can offer some care tips that may prove helpful as well.

But as Watermelons explained, few rabbits tolerate or like being picked up and held. They prefer to just be pet while they are on the floor.

It probably wasn't the best idea to buy your buns at 2 weeks...they still need their mothers at that age.

Keep petting your bun... And give him treats when he comes to you! You want him to know you're a friend not a foe!

I got my rabbit at 7 weeks, not realizing how young it was. I feel bad now, realizing it could have used that extra time with his mom. But he is a friendly guy, I've just had to work with him a lot though. At first he would bite and dig if I would touch him. When I took him for a checkup at the vet she said taking him away too soon may have impacted his behavior, she wasn't sure.
I thought he hated me, but he was just terrified. The way I got him to become the sweetie he is now is by bribery :) . I would give him his daily veggies/pellets as treats. I wouldn't try to hold him at first just get him to let me stroke him. If he ran away I didn't chase him in any way. Eventually he would sit on my lap and eat. Then he would let me cuddle him without freaking out. He still doesn't like being picked up, but I respect it and don't unless I need to. Just be patient and don't push your bun and they will get better! Don't give up either, I thought Leo would be a little devil forever but he's such a sweet boy now. There is hope for sassy/scared/shy buns!

At 8 months of age he is likely also hormonal. Some rabbits can become more grumpy when hormonal and that could include the spraying of urine. If he does this, you may want to consider having him neutered. Neutered rabbits also litter train much more consistently.

I would encourage you to browse around the stickied threads of the various topics on the forum. They can offer some care tips that may prove helpful as well.

But as Watermelons explained, few rabbits tolerate or like being picked up and held. They prefer to just be pet while they are on the floor.

My rabbit loves petting while it is on the floor:pet:.When I pet it lays down like a dog.But I can't pick it up.

It probably wasn't the best idea to buy your buns at 2 weeks...they still need their mothers at that age.

Keep petting your bun... And give him treats when he comes to you! You want him to know you're a friend not a foe!

I'll try that but it's already very tamed to me:yes:.I can pet but I can't pick or touch it's hind legs.

I got my rabbit at 7 weeks, not realizing how young it was. I feel bad now, realizing it could have used that extra time with his mom. But he is a friendly guy, I've just had to work with him a lot though. At first he would bite and dig if I would touch him. When I took him for a checkup at the vet she said taking him away too soon may have impacted his behavior, she wasn't sure.
I thought he hated me, but he was just terrified. The way I got him to become the sweetie he is now is by bribery :) . I would give him his daily veggies/pellets as treats. I wouldn't try to hold him at first just get him to let me stroke him. If he ran away I didn't chase him in any way. Eventually he would sit on my lap and eat. Then he would let me cuddle him without freaking out. He still doesn't like being picked up, but I respect it and don't unless I need to. Just be patient and don't push your bun and they will get better! Don't give up either, I thought Leo would be a little devil forever but he's such a sweet boy now. There is hope for sassy/scared/shy buns!

Wow such a good story with you rabbit.Good luck to you bonding with Leo the little sweet boy.:thumbup

Latest posts

Back