Can't figure out this color (lionhead)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clg2011

Reaction score
This is a bunny I have adopted recently. I'm rather interested in animal colors and genetics, so I promptly went about trying to figure out his color. I'm a bit stumped. I've found things that appear "close" but not quite right. Any help?

yoshi_by_windryder201-d3e387k.jpg

Obviously, you can see the picture but it's not great. The base of his hairs seem to be very light (if not white), and then the ends of them are coloured kind of a light grey/tan shade. The underside of his tail is white, as are the bottoms of his feet. It seems to me that his legs and sides are darker than his back, but it could be a trick of the light.

PS. I know the pyrex dish is lame. It's what he came with and he has since gained an ACTUAL LITTER PAN :O

He is definitely a shaded color, so his legs and part of his sides should be darker. He very much appears to be a siamese sable, except that the underside of his tail is white. White tails are one of the color disqualifications in shows, so it could be possible that he is actually a siamese sable but just has this blotch of white color. As for the bottoms of his feet, nearly all rabbits' feet are lighter and almost white looking because the fur gets discolored from general movement of the rabbit. Also the fact that he is a lionhead means that he has wooly fur, which dilutes dark colors so they look lighter.

Here's a side view for you!

yoshi_fluff_by_windryder201-d3e3vlr.jpg

I'm glad to hear the consensus seems to be Siamese Sable. I was thinking it was that, but I wasn't sure. Some of the pictures I was finding just made me wonder a bit.

Could also be a very dark sable point (sallendar). They have the cchd gene in combination with a & e rather than the shaded cchl gene.

Latest posts

Back