(Can't decide) - Should I adopt a bonded pair of Netherlands Dwarfs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pet_lover48

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to decide whether I should adopt a pair of bonded Netherland Dwarf rabbits. They arespayed females (are half-sisters and have been together since they were very young, so get along great with each other.) They are just over a year old, were originally purchased from a breeder when they were 8 weeks old and are fully litter trained, (both in the cage and in the house.) The owner says they have never show any aggression and are both very friendly. They are also used to wearing a leash/harnessto be being taken outside when the weather is nice.

Click this link to see some pics of them (Hopefully it works, since I am new to this forum):

http://skydrive.live.com/play.aspx?path=/photomail/%7B24d81873-3f7a-4313-a0f1-cf404c9ad0f9%7D&image=F1EEC0629EB84647!191&imagehi=F1EEC0629EB84647!189&CID=-1013661336309578169&sa=494422189

I am just not sure about this breed. I want ones that are friendly, that I can pet, brush and maybe have sit next to me on the couch for a while. Is this a good breed? Do you have them? If so, what do you think of them?

Let me know what you think about this breed and if I should adopt them, or not. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated and if you have any further questionsabout the rabbits themselves,let me know.

Thanks,

pet_lover48

Well,they're super cute! Adopting a bonded pair is easier than bonding them yourself.
Generally I think smaller rabbits seem to be more active and less cuddly, but it definitely depends on the individual rabbit!
I would recommend asking their current owner about their personalities and meeting them yourself rather than relying on breed stereotypes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

It's easy to say that smaller bunnies are less cuddly and more nervous, but it honestly comes down to individual personality. Rabbits don't have breed specific personalities in quite the same way dogs do - there are some generalizations you can make, but you'll always meet plenty of bunnies who go against the grain.

They're small, so I doubt they'll be total lap bunnies who will just in one spot next to you for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean that they won't love to be petted and to snuggle with you. I would talk to the current owner and go to meet them (knowing that they won't be as comfortable with you at first as they are with their current owner).

Finally, getting an already bonded pair that's already fixed is worth a lot! Spays are very expensive and you've got a good deal getting nice young buns who are probably past their teenager stage and already fully bonded.

I think the other comments here have been helpful. I agree that it does save you the stress of bonding rabbits yourself. And you would be best to go and meet them for yourself and then decide.

The are lovely colours and very cute... I hope you end up giving them a loving home :)

I would also be curious why the current owner is rehoming them, don't know if you know that already or not?

Keep us updated with what happens/what you decide :)

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I decided to not adopt them unfortunately. I think I'm going to either adopt a female, 7 month old Lionhead, or an older bonded pair-(one is a LopX and the other is aHototX.) One is around 5 years old, the other is about 4. They're rescues, so the actual age is unknown. They aren't too good with the litter box and take some time to get comfortable with you, withoutbeing scared.

I think I'll probably go with the Lionhead because she is litter trained and more friendly than the other 2, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think and which ones I should go with.

Also, what do you think about lionheads, as a breed. I understand that each individual rabbit is different, but what aretheircommon characteristics? If you have a lionhead yourself, let me know what you think of him/her/them.

Any comment/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

Personally I don't know how much Lionheads apart from that they are cute, but also require more grooming than a shorter haired rabbit. So are you willing to brush them every second day... not sure if that's how much they need, it might be more like once a week. Someone else can help with that...

Have you met the lionhead and the bonded pair? I think meeting them and seeing their personalities and how they interest with you is probably the best thing you can do.

Also, if I was you I would consider whether after you get one rabbit you will actually decide to get a second anyway... That is what I did and I think it happens requestly. As we have already mentioned earlier, if you get a bonded pair then that stress is already taken care of. And you won't need two cages while you bond them either. If you want two rabbits, I would recommend getting two from the start that are already bonded, I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

What made you decide against the dwarfs? (I do love my dwarfs, but I'm happy that any homeless buns are getting a shot).

Where are you adopting them from?

Sorry I missed this earlier!

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back