canned pumpkin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinf8936

Reaction score
Mr. Z is still not pooping right and not hardleyeating after 10 days. He had been in the animal hospital 6days and still has some meds left.

I heard about giving them pumpkin. How do you give it and how much? I am getting desperate.

Ed

As much as he'll take, at least every 4 hours.You can freeze the canned pumpkin if you can't use it all. It's a painto get in the syringe, but it's Key because he needs the fiber and thecanning process does help the rabbits.

Simethicone is also recommended if they're not treating him for gas. How much does he weigh?

:pray:

If you have NutriCal, that also helps boost the immune system, and has laxatone in it that helps move the system.

Let him hop if he wants to so that his system is moving, and massage is helpful.

-Carolyn

What size syringes do you have?

Would suggest you give the canned pumpkin straight - not diluted. Pedialyte for electrolytes is also helpful.

-Carolyn

I'm sure you know that when you syringe feed therabbits, you put them on their back as you would clip their nails, andthen put the syringe just behind their front teeth, make sure you getit into their mouths so they can't spit it up, and feed slowly so asthey don't choke or get any into their lungs.

-Carolyn

The vet just called and Mr. Z is running a 106 fever, we don't know why.

Ed

Oh Goodness! Poor Mr. Z. What is the vet going to do about it?

-Carolyn

Vet called and said they have the fever down. I will get an update tomorrow.

Ed

Ed,

What is the doctor doing for him? How did they get his temperaturedown? If you can provide us with any more information or diagnosis, I'dbe very interested.

I'm thinking about you and Mr. Z.

-Carolyn

Vets office said Mr. Z's fever is down, I thinkhe still has a fever though. The vet has switched to a differentantibiotic. They said he is eating some on his own and they are stillsyringe feeding him and giving him fluids. We still are puzzled aboutthe fever since that seems to be the only symptom other than his slowgut. The vet is doing some research to try to find out what could becausing the fever. I told them if they need to do blood test to goahead and do them, we had talked about that last week. I had done someresearch but did not find anything that did not involve other obvioussymptoms he does not have. Next update will betomorrow.

Ed

I hope your bun will chill out soon and getbetter. Don't give up, I'm sure the answer to his ailments isright there. Anytime soon you or the vet will see it, smackyourself in the forehead and say "of course, that's it!"

If you suspect the fever is still up, why nothave them take his fever in front of you or you do it yourself when yousee him if you know how.

What kind of antibiotics did they switch him to and how much are they giving him, just out of curiosity.

Still would like to know how they got his fever down and how they plan on regulating it to stay down.

-Carolyn

Back