Can you use rabbit litter in the garden?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nargle

Reaction score
Well, this question isn't really about rabbits but it's related. :biggrin:

I have an indoor container garden, and I was thinking that whenever I get my rabbit, I could use the poo in my garden. But would I have to pick out each individual poop out of the litter, or could I put some poop mixed with litter into my garden? The litter I bought is called Equine Fresh, it's a horse bedding and it's like pine pressed into little pellets, and you spritz some water in it and it fluffs up. Would pine pellets be okay to put into my garden?

Also, honestly the idea of making "poop tea" kind of grosses me out so I'd rather just deal with the poop as little as possible and stick it straight into the garden, lol!

I'm not sure about the litter in the garden question... buuuut:

A great fix for this in my opinion is to use a grate that would catch the poops on top of the litter. The pee falls through and the poops stay on top so you could just put those either directly into the garden or you could put them in a separate bag to store them up. The screen that I use is called a plastic canvas, it's used for stitching and can be found in all sorts of places. I get mine at the dollar store for a buck each. You just cut them to the shape of the litter box and voila!

But if your rabbit winds up being a chewer, those grates wont work because they're pretty flimsy and will be destroyed easily by a chewer.

Just a couple thoughts!

There was actually a whole study done on the use of wood pellets for composting and garden use. (****I think NASA did it**** :coolness:).

Bottom line was...... that it's perfectly fine to toss the whole contents of the pan in the compost pile and/or garden.

Last year I separated the poops and used them to fertilize my rose plants.
I dug a ring around the base....a couple inches deep.....and then buried the poops in it.
Worked like a charm!!

The "rabbit-poop-tea" is still supposed to be the best way......but I'm not much of a tea person either.

It's wonderful for plants! Unlike other manures, which are considered "hot" and must be composted before adding to soil, bunny poo is not and can be added right away or composted - your choice. I tend to take a few poos and push them into the soil of my house plants, while also composting the rest (wood stove pellets, hay, etc) for the outdoor garden.

Back