Can you please keep my puppy in your thoughts and prayers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartbunneh

Reaction score
This is incredibly difficult for me to write...

I would really appreciate it if anyone who is willing would please keep my puppy in your thoughts and prayers. Her name is Madeline and she's a 2-year old toy fox terrier.

We had to take her to the emergency vet clinic last night. She's home with us now, and is okay, but we're still very concerned about her.

Last night we were home and just lounging on the sofa in the living room with the dogs. There was nothing unusual, but then my, "mom," noticed that Maddie was shaking in her sleep. She assumed she was dreaming and let it go, but as the night went on, Madeline continued to shake - both while sleeping and while awake. She seemed alright otherwise since she ate her dinner and had been playing earlier, but we called an emergency vet anyway to make sure it wasn't an immediate crisis. They said that she probably had some sort of a, "bug," but that it didn't seem life threatening and that we could probably wait it out with her.

Well, knowing that Madeline loves cheese, I went to the refrigerator and got some to see if she would perk up a bit. She did and ate the cheese I gave her. We then took her outside to see if she needed to go out, she did, and then came back in with her. She started running around with the other dog and playing, so we thought she was okay and had come out of whatever was going on with her earlier. But, she was panting a bit and we couldn't remember whether or not that was normal for her when she played. It was one of those things that maybe is taken for granted during every day life - it's hard to pin down their exact behaviors and what's normal and not when you've never had a bad experience with them before. She played for a bit and was acting like herself again, but then went over to my, "mom," and laid down by her and started shaking, panting, and falling asleep. And we knew that that wasn't typical Maddie so we called another vet and took her right in.

They said that she didn't seem like she was in crisis, but that we should keep an eye on her and continue to monitor her temperature and whatnot. She had a slight fever at the vet's office, but is normal in that way today. They didn't want to run bloodwork or put her on an antibiotic since what she came in with was so nondescript. They just sent us home and warned us that in the next couple of days, it might become crystal clear what was wrong with her as her symptoms may become more marked. But they said the shaking was just a secondary symptom of malaise and not the real issue, so we were comforted by that. She hasn't eaten breakfast this morning and she doesn't seem to want to go out, but it is snowing and terrible outside so I can't blame her! But she did eat a cookie and is alert - she's just cuddled in blankets on the couch and sleeping.

She's my life, you know? I love her more than anything in this world. She's my heart puppy and always will be. She saved my life last year and I can't even begin to think about the possibility of losing her. It scares the hell out of me. I cried so much last night and even though we got home from the vet at almost 3:00am, I couldn't sleep. I just laid in bed with her and made sure she was breathing. My, "mom," finally had to tell me to get on the computer because I was just laying with Madeline and watching her breathe. I know she's okay and that it's most likely just a little virus, but I worry so much.

So, if you can, please keep Madeline [and me] in your prayers. I would appreciate it more than you know...

<3 Lexi

I'll be thinking of you both.

It's hard when someone we love so much is ill. I had a bunny who had saved my life, and when he died I was broken so I can relate to how you feel now.

If you need a chat my PM box is open.

Hang in there both of you

x

Well, in the few minutes since I originally posted this, we have some excellent news! My, "mom," was making her lunch in the kitchen when she offered me, "Tings." If anyone's interested, I'll explain what they are, but that's not the point of this post. When Maddie heard the word, "Tings," she went running into the kitchen and started begging for food. So we got out a can of the wet dog food we feed [Merrick] and decided to just give her some of that since she usually will choose that over the dry dog food [also Merrick]. Madeline's MO is to pick out all the, "good," stuff from her food and eat that leaving the dry food for Pete to finish up. Well, as soon as she smelled it, she started jumping around like her usual self! She ate all of the wet food my, "mom," put out for her and then went outside. We didn't see her since she ran to the back of the house and then quickly back in [she was wearing her pink winter coat so she wouldn't get too cold], but she probably at least peed out there. So, hopefully this means Maddie's turning the corner and will start to feel better soon!

But, please continue to keep her in your prayers - it couldn't hurt!

Aaahhh! I just hope my baby is okay!

<3 Lexi

That's great. I hope Maddie keeps getting better :)

Well, I would ask about weed killer and stuff if you were in summertime since my mom has rat and fox terriers too. She had one get very sick from that.

What about bug people? have you had someone in to spray for spiders? have you had mouse poisen down?

Also, blood sugar can be a big issue with little dogs. That's a good reason to keep nutri-cal on hand for them.

I wanted to thank everyone who has kept me and my little Madeline in your thoughts and prayers. Thankfully, today's post will be much more positive - Maddie is doing far better than she had been. Thank God...

Maddie started perking up yesterday afternoon. In my last post I think I mentioned that she had eaten something and had gone outside. After that she started playing with the other dog and acting like her old self again. There were still periods of her laying down and shaking, but they were much shorter in duration and happened furher apart from one another. It seemed that after eating for the first time and going outside, Madeline turned a corner and started to get well again.

She's been back to her old self since last night. She ate her dinner last night and did manage to ask to go outside a couple of times to both pee and poop [only here is it acceptable to talk about animals' urinary and bowel patterns]. She also managed quite easily to beg for the roast chicken I was eating for dinner. After dinner she started perking up even more and played on and off for the rest of the evening. We played bally...lots and lots of bally...and the incessant squeaking was music to my ears!

I still stayed up most of the night to ensure she was okay, but it seems that nothing is out of the ordinary where Maddie's concerned anymore. She never developed any other symptoms and she hasn't had another period of shaking. We still might notice some coughing, sneezing, or loose stools in the future, but as of now she seems to be just fine. Hopefully she'll stay that way.

If anything changes or comes up, we're going to take her to her regular vet. But as of now it seems we're on the up and up. She's my baby and I'd be lost without her - thank God I don't have to go there yet.

Again, thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers. It seems that they've worked! And me and Maddie are incredibly thankful for everything!

<3 Lexi

I forgot to respond to some of the questions that were asked of me regarding Maddie and our environment. Sorry about that!

Bo B Bunny, you asked some really great questions and I thank you for that. Unfortunately, I don't know that any of those things were really going on, but they're definitely things to keep in mind for the future.

We're headinginto winter here right now -especially with the nice storm that just slammed us this weekend. So there's been no weed killer or pesticides. Our [small] yard is mostly for the dogs to use as we live in the city and it's not somewhere you'd actually want to sit outside to enjoy, but I did take into account the possibility of someone throwing something poison-related into our yard. But since the other dog is fine and Maddie has improved, I'm not thinking that's what happened. We've also not had anyone come into the house to spray for spiders or other bugs. Again, since we're in the city, there's not a whole lot of insects or vermin getting in. Well, aside from rats I suppose - but thankfully we're not in an area infested with them. And there's no rat or mouse poison down in the house. Not upstairs or in the basement. We have too many animals to put poison down - I'd be a nervous wreck.

I did, however, consider that it could be blood sugar related. But the vet nixed that idea. If she hadn't started eating or drinking on her own I would have syringed in fluids and food of some sort. I don't have Nutrical, but it should be something to keep on hand. Thanks for that reminder.

I really think this has been just a viral deal. If anything changes she will be going to her regular vet, but I think we're okay now and that she's passed whatever was going on. But thanks again for the questions, concerns, thoughts, and prayers. They've all been appreciated!

<3 Lexi

I'm so glad she's doing better! I just talked to my mom about the girls and when they got sick. I told her about Maddie. It's so funny cause she has Maggie, Nattie and had Nellie LOL!

Nattie is a fox/rat mix - she is ball crazy and will play NON STOP for hours if you let her. Sound familiar? :)

Sound familiar?! I'd assume Nattie and Maddie were the same dog if I didn't know any better! Madeline is incredibly ball-crazy. And, in her world, the squeakier the better! She seriously could give the Energizer Bunny arun for his money.

It's funny because when she was just a baby, Madeline would never play with any kind of rubber toy. She would only play with what we called, "babies," - stuffed toys. But as she's gotten older, she's absolutely fallen in love with any kind of ball. Fetch, catch, just running around with a ball in her mouth, Madeline LOVES ballies. Thank goodness we have the pointer x cross mix to play with her. Otherwise, I swear, I'd be missing an arm by now. And it keeps him in shape too since he's already 8 and much older than the puppy.

Maddie will play on and on, but she does eventually get tuckered out. And, even as I'm typing, she's laying in the blankie on the couch. She is such a cuddle-butt. They're hyper dogs for sure, but are so sweet as well. I've only ever had large dogs while growing up, so Madeline was an anomaly for me. But now I couldn't imagine it another way. When I move out on my own I'm going to need to get Maddie a companion and I'm definitely looking into either a toy fox terrier [like Madeline], a rat terrier, or a jack russell. I can't imagine not having a spunky little terrier at my feet and on my lap!

Tell your mom to give little Nattie a nosey-rub and kissy from me and Mads!

<3 Lexi

When I read your post the first thought that came to my mind was epilepsy. Then I read on and see that she's feeling much better, and am so glad she is. If, however, she does have another episode, and the vet hasn't tested for this, maybe checking for epilepsy would be a good idea. I believe that some seizures take the form of generalized shaking or being upset, without actually going into a full-blown attack.

Anyway, I'm very glad she's feeling better, and hugs to her, with prayers that she simply had a viral infection. :)

:hug:

LOL! Lexi! Nattie only likes balls that have been cut open now! she can get ahold of them better. She will come over and plop one in your lap and stand and look at you. If you don't get the hint, she will nudge it with her nose and paw at you! It's adorable!

Those dogs are hilarious! we have friends with fox, rat, and russels! all the same - WILD AND CRAZY! Our neighbor's jack russel waits for me to kick rocks down the drive to the barn for her! She chases them and brings them back. She's been known to have about 4 or 5 rocks in her mouth at one time. :p

Latest posts

Back