Can you help me what is the case of the death of my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmaketbi

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am new here,nice to meet you.
My 2 month rabbit died recently and i wanted to know why it would.
My rabbit used to be carried everywhere, and he used to sniff as well, recently i placed two new rabbits into the same cage and noticed that the white rabbit doesnt eat as much anymore.
I tried to feed it by myself and it was active only when it is alone .
I went to wash it for the first time because he had loose motion, i then blow dried it but i didnt do its legs much as they were almost about to dry. The night after washing it, it started sneezing and making sounds, in the early morning, it started vomiting water and a white foam and was completely stiff . And made loud sounds of someone carried it .
The question is, do you think washing the rabbit was a cause of his death?

Possibly, rabbits should never be bathed unless it is a butt bath only when they get poopy butt. It sounds like he could have aspirated some water during the bath. Did you get both rabbits at the same time or did you have one before and you introduced the new one? Is the white one you had before?

I kept his head on the edge.( it never touched the water) I only bathed the body and the butt .

It also could have been that the new bun could have brought a disease possibly snuffles, and the bath could have made the sickness worse. Baths also stress rabbits very much. which is why you never give them baths other than butt baths. The stress from the bath and the possible sickness that your new bun brought could have made him very sick. IF it was snuffles, some rabbits may get it and not show any symptoms but others with weaker immune systems can get it. The vomiting I'm positive that what you saw was not vomit as rabbits have the inability to do so. I'm not saying it was snuffles because you are in another country and there are many more diseases overseas for rabbits then there is here in the US, also I'm not a vet.

Well, I've never heard of those symptoms before, but bathing and blow drying isn't something you usually do with rabbits.

I didn't understand that part (English isn't my first language):
I went to wash it for the first time because he had loose motion,

Can you please explain that in other words?

Putting rabbits together can cause social problems, stress, etc., there's more to it than just putting them in the same cage. What sex and age are your other two rabbits?

2 months old is just barley old enough to be leaving the parents.

Having loose stool is a big problem and giving it a bath probably put him over the edge.
You shouldnt be bathing a rabbit regardless.

You shouldnt have put the rabbits all together either.

Last edited:
Yeah, yes, but that's a pretty moot point now.

Oh, that was what "motion" meant...

@Kmaketbi
More details, like what you are feeding might give a clue. When you got the rabbits, did you feed what they were used to? Changing feed can cause problems, and there is stuff that is more safe than others. (hay versus veggies...)

It sounds like your rabbit may have had a cardiac arrest, likely caused by the stress of bathing. The foaming at the mouth was probably from pulmonary edema,(fluid in the lungs) caused by the heart attack. Rabbits should never be fully bathed. At the most bathing their bottom can be done when it is absolutely necessary, but should only be done as a last resort when other dry methods of cleaning won't work. Butt baths have to be done correctly and very carefully, as any type of bathing can cause severe reactions in some rabbits, and as you have experienced they can sometimes prove fatal.

If by 'loose motion' you mean diarrhea, that alone can be fatal in rabbits and could have also been a contributing factor in your rabbit being susceptible to a cardiac arrest. True watery diarrhea in rabbits is an emergency situation as it's caused by pathogenic bacteria that can release deadly toxins, and requires the correct medications to have any chance of saving the rabbit.

For the future, you shouldn't put two rabbits together unless they have both been desexed and properly bonded. If the two rabbits weren't getting along, it's possible the stress of being put together led to your rabbit developing the diarrhea, and it could have also stressed his heart muscle. Also anytime a rabbit isn't eating like it normally should, is considered an emergency. Rabbits only stop eating like normal when they are sick, in pain, or stressed.

Latest posts

Back