Can you ceep two boy bun buns together????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
Hey! Gess what I got a lil bun bun..its 8 weeksold!!!:bunnydance:Its staying with my best friend cuz my hutch isentready.....errrr!!!!It white orange and grey!!!!! But im getting a lopeared or rex show rabbit from my naboor..he is some top breeder ansshower..and said i can show it in the royal winter fair!!!Cooollehh?Can i ceep two boys toghether????:D

Yes & No.

With males there comes the ultimate problem of spraying and with twoit's only going to get worse. One of my roomates did have a pair ofmales who were not related that got along very very well together (alittle too well, very often... if you catch my drift). This caused alotof stress for the males so I would never suggest keeping two malerabbits in the same hutch - even for a few days; but you can certainlykeep two male rabbits in the same house. If you're prepared to dealwith the smell! :disgust:

As for the lop/mini rex debate - definetly go with a rex!! :D

Nes.

You *can* if you are very careful and introducethem slowly. Neutering helps a lot. It's unusualfor unneutered male rabbits to get along. Even with neuteringit won't always work out. You'll need a hutch for each bun tostart with, and lots of time to introduce them slowly andsafely. Even then, they can hurt each other in fights so becareful. Read this site several times:

http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

And check out the Bunny 101 bonding thread for more advice.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Two unneutered male rabbits will almost alwaysfight. Even if they are brothers, and have lived together since birth.Once the hormones kick in, they can fight terribly. And really hurt oneanother.

I would keep them apart until they are neutered, and given some timeafterwards for the hormones to leave, slowly introduce one another(start the bonding process). If all that is said and done, yes it'squite possible for them to live peacefully together. But like withbonding any rabbits, it doesn't always work. And it's always good tohave another hutch/cage handy in case it doesn't.

lovethetailyall wrote:
I cant nuter them.......
Ah I see, you probably should start looking in to getting another hutchif you plan on getting both of them then. Good luck with everything! :D

Nes wrote:
As for the lop/mini rex debate - definetly go with a rex!! :D

Nes.

I'd say lop because they are less likely to be disgustingwiththe spraying. I don't know why.....but one of my worst sprayers (andattitude) was a mini-rex! Just my experience though, because othershave said they are awesome!

Also, I believe a neutered male cannot be shown, so if you do plan toshow you'll have to deal with all the yucky boy behaviors (I know, Ihave a large disgusting "stud" buck....whom I love very much....).these include mounting, spraying, fighting, etc.

Unaltered males should absolutely live apart. Twoyoungstersmay possiblyget along for a few weeksuntil puberty hits around 12 wks., then fur will fly and someone canget seriously hurt. They do NOT like to share! It's not worth therisk....I've seen rabbit fights.

I'd think about just getting used to having one before you try two, though.:)

Rose

my 2 bunnies are almost 14 weeks, brothers and seem to be very close to each other. they are not neutered yet.

Should I be worried??? :shock:

Sheridan, keep a close eye on them and beprepared to separate them if necessary. I have heard a fewcases of unneutered boys being okay together, but I've heard more badcases than good. This can happen with sisters too.The best bonds are between spayed/neutered adults.

sheridan wrote:
my 2 bunnies are almost 14 weeks, brothers and seem to bevery close to each other. they are not neutered yet.

Should I be worried??? :shock:

The onset of puberty varies in different breeds and individual rabbits.They probably just haven't made "the change" yet.:)I wouldecho the advice to be careful.

Rose

Back