Can you breed a French Angora to a ......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again Mimi - put more information in your subject line since there is plenty of room. (Please remember - I can see where posts come from, etc).

Also - pick ONE name to use and use only that account.

As far as your question goes....you can breed almost any two rabbits together as long as the buck isn't larger than the doe which would cause her to have kits too large to give birth to.

The big question isn't "Can you" but "WHY IN THE NAME OF HEAVEN WOULD YOU?"

I'm sorry - I try very hard to not criticize - but I just checked and there are currently almost 50 rabbits in the state of New Jersey alone that are looking for homes in shelters - many of which are purebred.

If these purebred rabbits can't find homes - what makes you think you'll find homes for mutt rabbits like these?

We have a policy on this forum that we are not the bunny police and we can not make you do anything -so there are times when I tell members (and myself) to back off from judging someone. I probably should do this now.

But the fact is - you have 28 rabbits and are looking to create more rabbits when there are rabbits still needing homes.

[align=center] If you must breed - do the responsible thing.

Breed two rabbits OF THE SAME BREED.

This way - they're less likely to wind up on Petfinder.
[/align]

Tans are 5lbs give or take and French bucks are 10lbs give or take. Yes they would breed. IMO the babies would be too large for the Tan doe to have. I don't really see the point in doing this though? There is nothing that the two breeds could compliment the other... Like I could see breeding a commercial (say new zealand) into the french to improve body type and then breed coat quality back in. I can't for the life of me figure out what the point of a tan into a french would be? If you're looking for "tan pattern" it would probably be easier to just buy a tan pattern doe, if you really really can't find one atleast breed it to another commercial (like a silver marten). Just understand the amount of work it's going to take to breed any of the babies back into something of quality.

Latest posts

Back