Can this be dangerous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfa

Reaction score
Hello,
yesterday I noticed all over my bunny's area these little bugs. there were like tons of them, I killed most of them but today I still notice them on furniture, walls etc... They don't sit on rabbit or bite it nor me, they just... live. I am wondering if this can be fron hay from local farmer. do you know what is this? it has 6 legs so it is not a mite. it has about 0.5mm length. Screenshot_20201107_231542_com.android.gallery3d.jpgScreenshot_20201107_231536_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Eww I don't know what they are but that sounds horrible. It is hard to guess from your pics they surely can be from hay if you get from a farm. They are definitely not mites, those are microscopic

Ahhh I've always bought hay from this farm and it was never a problem :( I see them still running around cage and walls athough I vacuumed my room 5 times... They are very small and it is hard to catch all of them. but they don't harm so that's good. my bunny keeps successfully tumping on them and killing them lol. But i am still wondering if anyone has an idea what can that be... I am from Europe
Eww I don't know what they are but that sounds horrible. It is hard to guess from your pics they surely can be from hay if you get from a farm. They are definitely not mites, those are microscopic

Hello,
yesterday I noticed all over my bunny's area these little bugs. there were like tons of them, I killed most of them but today I still notice them on furniture, walls etc... They don't sit on rabbit or bite it nor me, they just... live. I am wondering if this can be fron hay from local farmer. do you know what is this? it has 6 legs so it is not a mite. it has about 0.5mm length. View attachment 51274View attachment 51275
I may be wrong but they kind of look like grain Beatles to me. I may be wrong though. I don't know much about them.

They are beetles, stored product pests, absolutely no harm to you or bunnies. Just need to eliminate where they came from to stop the infestation. (Finally, something I do know!)

Any chance this is what you're seeing?

http://www.hayusa.net/blister.html
I know they can be an issue for horses, but I am far less knowledgable on if they have any impact on rabbits!
hey, noo they are definitely not beetles. someone suggested me that they can be psocoptera, but luckily psocopteras aren't dangerous for humans and animals, they just occupy space in rooms lol. yesterday I was cleaning my room for like 5 hours to get rid of them and I still saw some of them today's morninf 😩 luckily not a lot. i will freeze my hay because i bought really a lot of it... and see if freezing helps because I read it does. thank you for helping me!

Back